Chapter Thirteen

I was so glad to be back home after the three days at the small rodeo in Dallas. After the night with Austin, he drove me back to the hotel and walked be back up to my room, he gave me a peck on the cheek and said he'd like to see me around some time. My heartfelt warm for the first time in a long time and I felt like I wasn't trying to fit into his world.  

I got home back to Collinsville late on Friday afternoon, my parents left in the morning and headed back to there ranch in Dallas. I took River and the horses back to my ranch where they both got turned out into a pasture for a hard earnt rest. I needed a rest that was for sure. I was a new mom and travelling around the state making runs and training wild horses. I was beginning to tire and knew that I needed to slow down a bit and take some time for myself and for River. 

Two days after I got home I rang Wren and asked her to come over for coffee. River was over at my parent's house and Wren's partner was looking after he little baby. It was so nice to have contact with another female my own age for the first time in ages. 

''Wren!'' I pulled the door open and the bubbly girl called Wren pulled me into her arms. We came inside my warm house and sat down in the living room with cups of hot coffee in our hands. Wren's blond hair fell in curls around her face and her blue eyes sparkled under the ceiling lights. 

''I have missed you Ail, how's it all been?'' I filled her in on everything that has been happening in my life, including the three-run in's I've had with Ryder. 

''I don't understand what changed with him. He used to care and now I hardly recognise the man he has become.'' I felt my stomach churn as I spoke about Ryder. 

''Do you love him Ail?'' My eyes lowered, I knew the answer to that and I didn't like it. 

''Yes, of course, I do but he isn't the same man I fell in love with all that time ago. Ryder has really changed, and I am somehow still in love with the old version of him.'' Wren took a sip from her coffee and gave me a minute to process what I had just said. When I met Ryder two years ago, that was when I was a young and naive girl who thought the world was only filled with good and I only ever did see the good in everything. Maybe Ryder wasn't the greatest person back then and I just didn't see it. 

''Ail you have a kid now, his kid in fact and I guess he will be in your life no matter how hard you try and keep him out.''

''He has a right to get to know River I guess, and I said yes to it in the beginning and then he started coming around and been violent and possessive. I don't want someone like that around River. Sometimes I get scared that he might even hurt her.'' My eyes were starting to water, all I wanted to do was protect my little girl. 

''Do you think Ryder would hurt her?'' Wren was making me think.

''I don't know, he just gets really mad really easily.'' 

Wren left later that day leaving me alone in my thoughts. I don't know what Ryder would do to River but I guess that it is only far to let him get the chance to know his daughter.