Chapter Three

The sun had risen from under the mountains yet another morning, the sky was clear and not a cloud was in sight. The day was new and pure. I took River outside while I did the horses, she laughed and patted the mares on the nose while their heads were over their stall doors. She held brightness and wisdom in her eye's, there was a wild child behind her innocent smile. 

''Ail?'' I turned around and standing there at the end of the stable aisle was the tall, brown-eyed boy I tried so hard to forget. I grabbed River and placed her on my hip, I didn't move closer to Ryder, I was scared. 

''You shouldn't be here,'' I stated in a strong voice, I hardly recognised my tone as it came out rough. Ryder took a few steps closer to me and knew right then that I wanted him to leave. This was dangerous for both of us and I didn't like the feelings that I was feeling inside. 

''What's her name?'' Ryder held his hand out and I watched as River stretched out her small arm to play with his fingers. 

''River,'' I answered in a low voice. 

''I know I shouldn't be here Ail, I know that. I was just driving by and I - I don't know why I came here.'' Ryder's voice was shaky and he didn't look at me in the eye, he only kept his eye on my little girl.

Ryder's POV

Ail's blue eyes were watery, though I could see that she was holding back the tears and the pain that I caused her. I don't know why I even came here, I told myself a million times that I wouldn't end up here. Because neither Ail nor River needed me, but maybe a part of me still hadn't let go of the idea of Ail and our little girl. 

Ail's POV

My hands shook as I passed River over to her father for the first time, the little girl looked up at him like he was her entire world. She didn't yet know that he was far from that. Ryder's stong hands held River with all the safety and love he had left in his body. I pushed the idea that Ryder could be a father to my baby back in my mind because that wasn't going to happen and I wasn't going to let that happen. Not after how he just picked his things up and left last time.