7. friends

Y/N's POV

kara's house was exactly as i remembered it. however, her room had changed drastically from the adolescent fangirl to a plain, pictures of friends on the wall type of room.

"where'd all the boyband posters go?" i chuckled, looking around. kara flops on her bed, grinning.

"they're somewhere. they held too much value to be thrown away," she says. "you can come sit down." kara sits up and scoots over, making room for me. i hesitate, but sit down beside her. she goes on her phone and giggles at something.

"so... what subject did you need help with?" kara glances at me and shakes her head.

"let's have some fun first, y/n!" she cheers. "we can study later." my old friend gets up and goes to her drawer, taking out some nail polishes. "what's your favorite color?"

i look at my nails and frown. my nails were not very "girl-like," as i bit them frequently.

"a dark color if we're talking about nails," i answer, still a bit embarressed about the short, jagged nails on my fingers.

"how about navy blue?" i nod, accepting her suggestion. kara climbs back onto the bed with polishes in hand, grinning. she sits cross-legged across from my and orders me to put out my hands. i see her eyes slightly widen at the sight of my nails, but her expression quickly goes back to being cheerful.

"so..." kara begins applying a liquid glue around my nails. "what's been goin' on in your life lately?" she asks.

"not much honestly. just the miya twins dragging me into everything they do," i let out a soft laugh, indicating that i didn't mind.

"i still think it's so cool how you're friends with them. you know, every girl is like, envious of you," she chuckles. "however, i did see you talking to suna the other day..."

my heart skips a beat at his name. no, no, no! why? i don't like him, nope. no way.

"yeah you know, he's friends with the twins. that's all," i fib. for some reason, i didn't want to talk about suna, especially not with kara.

she begins painting my nails the navy blue she suggested. the color looks nice, but my nail shape isn't really fit for any color.

"that's all?" kara looks up at me with a teasing grin.

"wha- yes!" i yelp, feeling my face getting pink. smooth, y/n, smooth.

"so..." she trails her words again, which makes me feel like something bad is going to come out of her mouth. "...anyways," her body shifts as she lets out a laugh, trying to ease the tension i bet.

"i'm throwing a party, and i wanted to invite you and the twins," kara states. she's thrown parties in the past, but this is the first time she's invited me to one. "and anyone else you wanna bring."

"ah kara, i don't really-,"

"it'll be fun, promise!" she cuts me off with a beaming smile. "you've never been to one, right? you never know if you never try."

i searched my thoughts for an excuse, but if she's trying to re-develop our friendship, perhaps i shouldn't reject her invitation.

a sigh escapes my mouth, followed by a small smile. "fine, but i'm not touching any substance of any kind." i state.

"don't worry, i wouldn't force you to," kara continues painting the rest of my nails as i think of something to talk about. my phone buzzes, directing both our attention towards my pocket. i take out the phone and read the notifications on the lockscreen.

3 Messages from Suna Rintarou.

i unlock the phone and quickly scan the texts.

SUNA
> where are u
> twins are looking for u, not me
> but where are u

my fingers begin typing a response.

ME
> I'm at a classmate's place, helping her study
> The twins know where I'm at though, btw ;)

"what's that grin for?" kara asks in a teasing tone. i feel my smile quickly disappear as i try to hide it, not even aware it was there in the first place.

"nothing," a nervous chuckle escapes my mouth. the girl before me raises an eyebrow, smirking.

"who is it?"

i shake my head, hitting send and turning off my phone. "no one."

"okay..." kara giggles, taking my other hand to paint. my phone buzzes again, but before i can grab it, kara does. she reads the lockscreen and squeals. "suna's just a friend of the twins, right?"

i put out my hand, asking for my phone back. my face is surely red by now, but it shouldn't have been. suna was just a friend. not a big deal. just. a. friend.

kara plops my phone back in my hand and lets me read his messages.

SUNA
> u know how forgetful atsumu is
> but i guess i was a little curious too
> only bc i didn't realize u had other friends
> not for any other reason

"you know, if you and suna are just friends..." kara takes in a breath, watching me. "do you think you could set me up?"

my eyes flicker over to her, and i feel my heart drop. i have to tread carefully. weigh my options.

what do i want my relationship with kara to be like? i'd like to be friends with her.

what would happen if i said no? kara might resent me.

what would happen if i said yes? i'd have to set suna and kara up somehow. 

how do i feel about suna?

he's just a friend.

then why do i have to force the smile on my face as the words spill from my mouth?

"yeah, sure."

//

author's note

AHHH SHORT CHAPTER SORRY, i just felt like this was a good place to end it. let me know if u find any grammar/spelling errors! i usually just publish right after like one proof read haha

i turned 18 today, which is crazyyyy. i'm an... a d u l t o.o

i hope u liked the chapter tho, and thank u for all the support and love <3

- m