16. the plot thickens

Y/N's POV

"y/n!" a soft knock accompanies osamu's voice on the other side of the door. in my mind, he was the least involved in this whole situation, but he still probably knew of atsumu and suna's plan.

my hand was still gripping the doorknob. why must they come? could they not have let me rest a day?

"please open the door," osamu begs. if i were to talk to anyone, it was to be osamu. i was going to have to talk to someone eventually. might as well just get it over with, right?

there was a pit in my stomach. i really did not want to talk to them right now, but they were also the only people i could go to.

i inhale a deep breath and twist the knob, pulling the door open. osamu, who was leaning on the thing, stumbles a little, but catches himself. i glance him and then let my gaze fall upon atsumu, who is looking at his feet. he didn't even want to jump at this opportunity to explain?

"y/n! how are you? are you okay? you weren't answering our texts or calls, and you weren't at school," osamu states the obvious with a worried expression, though it was nice to know that he cared that much. however, actually seeing the both of them here made me uneasy, and the decision to talk to osamu was quickly changing.

"i'm fine," i state coldly, but my heart was beating quite rapidly. i'm sure there was sweat on my palms too right now. no, i couldn't do it right now. our conversation would have to take place another time. "was that all?"

"no!" osamu quickly responds. "can we talk about this whole situation? i think you might be misinterpreting it."

i take a glance at atsumu again. "shouldn't he be the one talking?"

osamu nudges his brother. "you know how he is. he feels bad y/n, but i don't think you have a clear grasp of what really happened-,"

"look, osamu, i'm busy. i..." i quickly search for an excuse. honestly, i didn't need one, but i still felt the need to give one. "i have to catch up on school work. test coming up." i've used that excuse before.

osamu lets out a sigh. "what about tomorrow? will you be at school?" hesitantly, i nod my head.

"but i probably won't be able to talk. i have... stuff to do." real convincing, y/n. thankfully, osamu doesn't push me any further.

"we'll figure something out," he mutters. he nudges atsumu again. "you wanna say anything before she shuts the door again?"

atsumu lifts his head and finally looks at me. his slumped figure clearly shows that he's sorry, and it almost makes me want to forgive him right here and now, but i don't. instead, i wait for his words.

"we- i made a mistake," he says quietly. "sorry, y/n." for a reason unbeknownst to me, i feel tears begin to form. why was i so emotional over those few words? i swallow the lump in my throat and take a breath.

"see you two tomorrow." before they can say anything else, i close the door and stand there for a moment, looking at the wood. my heart clenched, and i let the tears fall. there weren't any cries coming through my lips, but i felt it hit me internally.

i turn around to lean my back against the door, needing that support. osamu's words rang through my head.

'i think you might be misinterpreting it.'

how can i misinterpret such a thing, especially with suna's cocky grin in that moment. it was clear that he was trying to hurt me for whatever reason. it didn't make sense as to why atsumu would place such a stupid bet on this situation, but he made dumb decisions all the time.

when i felt that i had finished my dramatic movie scene moment, i wipe the tears from my face and walk to my room. looks like i won't be going out for a walk after all. on top of that, i was going to have to wait for my parents to come home, where who knows what will happen.

out of habit, i decide to check my phone. yeah, stupid decision, but my brain was craving the device. i need to start limiting my screen time.

my texts were blown up. there were texts from everybody, and by everybody, i mean only the people i interact with. yes, even suna. additionally, phone calls. probably around 30 missed calls in total from everyone, and some voicemails left over.

the twins went even further of course, and decided to dm me on twitter and instagram, and snap me. they posted on their private stories, asking the people on it to get in contact with me if possible, so i did get a few other snaps from the inarizaki members.

i go back to messages and decide to open kara's first. all she texted me about was where i was, if the double date was still happening, and if she could join me with helping out at practice again.

i ignore them and delete the conversation. i wasn't going to let her use me anymore.

suna's messages were next. if i opened his last, i may not have the mental capacity to stay sane. the twins' texts will no doubt have some humor in them, so they were saved for last.

SUNA
> idk if you've blocked me yet but you wont answer ur calls, so... next best thing
> ur probably mad at me
> understandable
> but dont be mad at atsumu
> i suck at this
> ... i'm sorry

that was from last night, a few hours after he had dropped me off. there were texts from today too.

SUNA
> heard u werent at school today
> please call me if u see this
> i'm sorry
> i'll explain it all if you just CALL ME PLEASE

> u better not have pulled any bs, y/n

> are
> u
> there???

my fingers automatically started typing a response, but i stop once i realize. what business did he have in caring? he clearly didn't at the park.

i did notice that he said not to blame atsumu though, which was odd. suna didn't seem like the type to really own up to anything, but then again, maybe atsumu asked him to say that. i just didn't understand what suna's game was here. did he have more up his sleeve? was the park not enough?

i let out a frustrated huff of breath and head on to the texts from the twins. they had individually texted, and also texted in the group chat. osamu's was mainly "are you okay?" and "please call or text us back." atsumu's on the other hand...

ATSUMU
> y/n omfg
> oh my fcking g*d
> i just heard
> suna is an asshole i am so sofry
> i am so sorry
> please pick up
> y/n
> what can i do
> let me explain
> are you okay??
> of fcking COURSE YOURE NOT
> im gonna beat suna when i see him omfg i cannot believe he did that

i scroll through the countless apologies from last night, and read the ones from today. these were more of the same type that osamu sent. i open the dms and snapchats, which were also more or less the same thing, and decide not to reply to anyone.

instead, i set my phone aside and let it charge up. all i had to do now was wait for my parents.

//

AUTHOR'S NOTE

BAM UPDATE

not much, but is atsumu #innocent ? :o

eh who knows. prob not.

KIDDING!! maybe so... but next chapter, we got the two breeders of y/n coming home......... what'll happen? tune in next time to chapter 17 of ALIVE by yours truly,
- m <3