8. thoughts

Y/N's POV

after i had agreed to help kara out, she spilt her whole affection towards suna to me. honestly, it made me a little mad, but i listened quietly nonetheless. i ended up only helping her get a page of work done due to her constantly getting off task, but something's better than nothing i suppose.

i left around 7 and decided to take a detour home. being cramped in my room for the rest of the night didn't seem fun, even if i did hermit in there 99% of the time.

there weren't many people out, making the walk even more peaceful. i listened to the noises and observed the structures around me. serenity.

it was slightly chilly out, but i was prepared. because the twins had dragged me out so early this morning, i brought a puffy jacket. it felt protective and comforting. maybe i should just wear puffy jackets more often.

i let my thoughts wander, but they ultimately landed on one person.

suna.

no matter how much i tried to think of other things, his face always appeared, blocking off all the other thoughts. his eyes that just demanded your attention, his soft smile that made you feel safe, his messy hair that sat perfectly on his head — that was all a bonus to his personality.

although my first impressions of him weren't the most positive, he's shown me kindness and a playful side of him. he does things that make my heart flutter, such as grabbing my hand or even just the eye contact he holds when he listens to me.

and kara likes him.

i breathe out a heavy sigh and stop walking to take check my phone. there's no surprise that there aren't any notifications, but i befin composing a message to the volleyball fanatics. maybe they're are still at practice and need an extra person.

just as i'm about to hit send, a shadow appears over me. i pull my phone away and look up to see the boy i couldn't stop thinking about. the boy kara liked.

"y/n?" suna squints his eyes and cranes his neck to see me. when he meets my eyes, he grins and pulls down my hood. "thought i recognized that phone and bag."

i step back, realizing we're a little too close. suna blinks, seemingly a little confused at my actions.

"y/n? you okay?" he asks. i give off a nervous laugh and nod.

"i'm fine! just have to get home soon, my mom's expecting me," the lie escapes my mouth and i begin walking past suna, but he gently grabs my shoulder. i widen my eyes, but he can't see face.

"hey," his voice impales me, making me turn to face him. he furrows his brows with concern clearly written all over his face. "did something happen?"

"no!" i blurt out hastily. "i promise. i'm just cold and want to get home quick." another half-lie.

suna's hand releases my shoulder and is shoved back into his sweatpant pockets. "okay, why don't i walk you then?"

"your house is in the oppisute direction," i point out.

he shrugs. "i don't mind."

well i do.

"no seriously, it's fine suna," i try to laugh it off to show him everything was okay, but he still doesn't seem to buy it. "i just want to experience my walk home alone tonight, okay?"

suna's expression falters into disappointment for a moment, but he nods. "okay, be careful."

"mhm!" i wave to him before turning around and finally leaving. i can feel his eyes watching me, but i don't look back. why was that so awkward on my end? if he's just a friend to me, it shouldn't be this bad!

i decide not to send the text i had written to the twins and increase my pace while walking home. dinner and a good night's rest should cure all the wild feelings...

right?

//

finally friday. it had been a long week and i was excited to be over with it. all i had to do was survive any interaction that might come up with suna and kara and i'd be good!

i take my time with getting ready, even deciding to put on mascara as a means to pass time. i wasn't too fond of makeup, mostly because it was too confusing to work, but also because it was so time consuming. when i've finished, i pack my bag and leave the quiet house.

lately, my parents haven't been speaking to each other much. there aren't any arguments, but there's no conversation either. it makes for a very awkward dinner.

i've also noticed my mom going out more than usual after dinner. i'm not sure whether it's work-related or not, but it's definitely odd. my father attempts to talk to me after she leaves, but with him also working so much, it's hard to have a normal conversation.

let's just say the family dynamic felt very strained at the moment. i'm not sure when it started, but definitely recently. i remember a week ago when i was trying to make conversation and my parents barely uttering a response back.

i get to the school a few minutes before the bell rings. this was perfect, because then i could avoid any contact with kara. my plan for her and suna was still in the processing stage— as in, i was still processing the fact that she liked suna and i would basically be her wing-woman.

my empty desk welcomed me, and i slowly unpacked my school materials. i waved to kara beforehand, and she waved back, but thankfully, she was too busy talking to her other friends to say something to me. when the bell finally rang, i let out a sigh of relief and began the school day.

all i had to do was survive lunch.

//

author's note:

hi!! sorry i haven't been as updating as frequently as i'd like to. school's been killing me😭😭

also, it's a shorter chapter than usual bc i did want to get something out! it kinda feels like a filler, but i promise it helps in the story-building!

anyways, ive been seeing a lot of people add this to their reading lists, and i just want to say, THANK YOU!! any notification i get relating to this book always gets me excited

you're all awesome. thank u for reading this chapter, and i'll see u soon with the next one :)

- m