10. set-me-up

Y/N's POV

I was able to avoid kara up until the last bell rang. as quickly as i tried to pack my bag up, it did not beat her. she jumped from her seat and came to my desk, flashing a bright smile.

"y/n, how are you? i haven't had a chance to talk to you today, but you seemed a little stressed," she says, no malice in her voice. i give a slow nod, forcing a smile upon my face.

"just the upcoming test, that's all," i chuckle nervously. honestly, i wasn't sure if there even was a test soon, seeing as how i couldn't pay attention today. thankfully, it doesn't seem like kara was listening to the lectures either as her eyes widen in response.

"another test?!" she groans. her eyes dart around to the students that begin to leave the classroom and a sigh escapes her mouth. "well, i have trash duty. wanna help?"

unfortunately, due to my inability to say no, i help her. i don't mind taking out the trash, but i didn't want to spend anymore time around this girl. as harsh as that sounds, i needed some time to myself. i've been too social lately.

"so..." kara insisted on taking the bags of trash out herself, so i walked beside her, all tensed up. hopefully she couldn't tell.

"how was your day?" i ask. if i asked the right questions, maybe that topic wouldn't be brought up. kara glances at me, a little surprised, but she smiles.

"i mean, school is school, but i was daydreaming all day," she looks up at the ceiling, dreamy eyed. "i can't wait until you set me up with-"

"i was too!" i interrupt hastily. "-daydreaming, i mean." kara blinks twice, a little startled by my sudden interjection, but she recovers quickly as usual. "what were you daydreaming about, if it's not too personal."

"ah well," she pauses, causing me to look over at her. a small smile's sitting on her pretty face, and her cheeks blush a light pink. "it's so dumb." kara shakes her head, chuckling.

"it's okay, you don't have to tell me," i say, hoping that if it was about suna, she wouldn't. thankfully, she just nods in response and keeps quiet. "well my daydream was about the boys going to nationals," i lie. this should steer the conversation away from dating and all that.

we approach the large trash bin, and after kara lobs the bags in, she looks at me brightly.

"y/n, we should go to their practice today! i hear you usually do, hanging out with the miya twins and all that."

i widen my eyes, forcing a smile. "i don't think that's such a good idea. they're preparing for their upcoming tournament, and i feel we'd just be distractions," i lie once again. these words are coming off my tongue too smoothly. i'm a terrible person.

kara's smile drops a bit, but she doesn't stop pushing. "it's worth a shot though, right? one practice won't change much." we have begun walking back to the classroom where our bags are. "y/n... you promised."

at those words, i shoot her a glance. no, i did not promise her anything. did i? if i did, how could i forget so easily? it was only yesterday that i spoke to her about this. perhaps my thoughts over suna clouded it and made me forget.

yeah, that had to be it. it'd be best to just get him away. cut off contact with him.

set him up with kara.

"yeah, of course. i'm trying, i swear." i pause, taking in a breath. "i'll take you to their practice."

kara's arms suddenly wrap around me and give me a light squeeze. "you're truly the best, y/n!" her footsteps lighten up and i can feel the excitement radiating off of her. it feels off though, nothing like atsumu's excited energy, but maybe it's just because she's a girl and he's a guy. we're two different species, really.