15. even more secrets

Y/N's POV

it was the first day that i've skipped school since...

it was the first day that i have ever skipped school intentionally. i asked my dad to call the office and tell them i was sick, which was half true. mentally, i was drained. i think that would count for an illness, right? i also couldn't sleep last night and my phone wouldn't stop with the notifications. eventually, it ran out of battery and i didn't care much for it to recharge.

my mother didn't come last night from what i could hear. if she had, i don't think i would've liked to face her, seeing that she opted out of picking me up after she said she could. what if i had been in serious danger? i guess it was her night off too, but still, i was annoyed.

i lay outstretched on my bed, staring comfortably at the blank wall in front of me. it was around ten now, meaning second period was taking place. my mind wandered to the boys sitting in their classrooms, feeling no remorse. i huffed a breath and shook my head. this was all i could think about and i couldn't even control it.

i'm sure kara tried calling me a few times too last night, but i wasn't taking anyone's calls. besides, after this whole situation, it was clear to me that kara wasn't in it for our friendship. she just wanted to get with suna. no one could be trusted.

i close my eyes for a moment before finally pulling myself upright into a sitting position. my stomach was hungry for some food, and i definitely needed the energy. when i stood up, i felt a little dizzy, but that was a given i suppose. i hadn't eaten since before i left with suna, and i didn't get any sleep.

slowly, i bring myself to the kitchen and rummage through the fridge. there were some leftovers that dad had made last night, so i reheat it in a small bowl. it was rice with pork and broccoli, a simple meal. as it spins in the microwave, i find myself reaching for a phone in my pocket, but that device is dead and in my room.

it was strange being home during school hours. right now, i'd probably be immersed in some notes about wold history while pushing all other thoughts aside. maybe i should've gone to school.

the microwave beeps, startling me ever so slightly. i take the food out and bring it over to the dining table. my mouth is already watering at the smell of it. however, i eat it slowly, savoring every bite. the food also brought my attention away from the whole situation, thankfully. when i've regained some of my focus, i look around the empty living room and think of my dad.

most nights, he's eating alone here. my mom and him have different schedules, and she's usually having dinner with her coworkers. i eat earlier so i have time for my school work. a frown forms on my lips. i had been so caught up in my own life that i haven't been paying attention to my parents. maybe that's why my mother decided to not pick me up. her selfish daughter was being... selfish.

i eat mindlessly, staring at the table. when i've finished, i wash my dish and walk to my parent's room. sure, they weren't home, but maybe i could tidy up their space a little as a small thanks and sorry. it's also a good distraction.

i push open the door to see an already clean space. in fact, it was so clean that there were a few boxes packed in the corner. on it were labels of my mom's items. i glance at the shared closet and see that her portion of it is mostly cleared out, leaving my dad's clothes remaining. what the hell?

the boxes weren't taped closed yet, but they were mostly full. her shoes, bags, and clothes were in there, along with some other essentials. this would make sense if we were moving, but no one has told me anything, and my dad's things weren't packed. i don't think my mom was packing these things to donate or throw out either.