17. concerned friends and 'friends'

Y/N's POV

my dad came home first. i sat at the dining table, pretending to study, while he walked through the door with a box of food in his hands and a tired expression worn on his face. his eyes lit up when they saw me, but they saddened after realizing the time.

"what are you doing up so late? are you feeling better?" he asks.

"just studying," i say with a forced smile. it was tough seeing him like this, especially knowing what was going on behind his bedroom doors.

"oh," he walks slowly over to the kitchen. "would you like some food?"

i shake my head. "i already ate. do you know when mom's coming home?" dad's posture stiffens up a bit. he checks the clock, which reads 11:25.

"probably soon. she's been quite busy lately." he brings a plate of his dinner over and sits across from me. "i'm not distracting you, am i?"

"no," i give him another smile and turn my attention back to the textbook in front of me. my mind was buzzing with questions, but it wouldn't have been fair for me to unload them all on my father. plus, i needed to hear both sides of the story. what if my dad did something instead of my mom?

my dad finished his dinner pretty quickly, not eating much. he got up and went to take a shower, and all of this took around 15 minutes. mom was still not home, and i was starting to get sleepy.

i sigh and watch my dad turn on the tv. he sits before it on the couch, however, he doesn't watch it. instead, he closes his eyes and listens... or sleeps. i rest my chin on my hand and let my eyelids hide my eyeballs. slowly, at some point, i doze off too.

//

my neck was killing me. i sat up straight and stretched it out, but it was definitely not comfortable. the other senses began waking up too, leading to the awareness that a blanket was draped over me. i rub my eyes and look around the dining room, where i had fallen asleep. the clock came into focus.

5:37.

i had slept for nearly 6 hours! my limbs stretch out a little more and i push myself up into a standing position. dad was asleep on the couch.

carefully, i walk over to my parents' room, which was slightly opened, and take a peak inside. the bed was empty, and it was still made. it looks like mom didn't come home last night.

i chew on my lip and shut the door. though i wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, things were not looking too positive for her. maybe i should give her a call. if she picked up and gave me a reasonable explanation, i'd forgive her more easily. if she avoided my call, well...

i head to my room and grab the phone that was still on the charger. it was too early for this, and i still had school in a few hours, but where the hell was she? maybe she was in trouble...

air comes in through my nose and when i release the breath, i let my mind clear up. stop worrying, just do it.

i type in my mother's phone number and hit call. the phone dials and i wait for her voice to end the dial tones, but her voicemail comes up instead. she hadn't given me a text or anything either. lovely.

i don't bother giving her another ring and instead set my phone down. sluggishly, i get ready for school.

//

i was ambushed. or at least that's what it felt like. who knew my presence in the classroom was one that people cared so heavily on?

when i entered, i had people who i've barely ever taked to asking me where i was and why i was gone. the teacher was concerned too, but i told her i was just feeling unwell. kara hadn't approached me, but i could see her eyeing me from my peripheral.