13. a misadventure

Y/N's POV

"that's not funny," i say, rubbing my own hand defensively.

"it wasn't a joke," suna replies. he hasn't made an obvious effort to turn around and take me home. what if he's planning on doing something to me?

"i don't get why it bothers you that i'm- dating atsumu," i hesitate. suna furrows his brows and shakes his head, his messy hair bouncing around.

"i knew you two were close, but do you seriously not see him flirting with other girls all the time?" he asks, his voice rising. i flinch ever so slightly in response. mad suna is a scary suna.

"it's nothing," the lie comes out of my mouth as smooth as butter, but my voice was tense. of course all of this was something. i was annoyed at all of them- kara, suna, atsumu, myself. all i had to do was deny kara's request, hell, even just deny suna's challenge to go to his house that one day!

suna glances over at me, and i stare back, not looking away. he has to, as he's the one driving, but i continue staring. i hope he sees whatever's in my eyes, because i honestly don't know what else to say. maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but his tensed figure softens.

"fine," his voice says otherwise, but i don't say anything to it. it feels like he's just warming up to me again, like that first day.

i clear my throat and shift uncomfortably, hoping he'll take the hint. suna takes a turn off the main road, leading to a park. he parks the car in the semi-empty parking lot and rests his head back on his seat, eyes closed. a deep sigh comes out of his mouth. i wonder what he's thinking.

"you-," i almost ask him where he might've chosen the date place for everyone, but maybe that's not the best topic to bring up right now. "how's maki?" i ask instead.

"good," suna mumbles, his eyes still closed. god, he looks so, so good right now. i find myself thinking of things that are way too explicit to be thinking about at the moment, but i can't help it.

feeling my face heat up, i unlock the car doors and exit. the fresh, warm air hits my face, and i feel relieved. i'm fine. this is fine. i am 'dating' atsumu, kara will be happy, suna will come around. everything will be fine.

i begin walking over to a nearby bench, not really caring if suna follows or not. even if he decides to leave me right now, i think i'd be okay with that. buses are always an option, and if anything, the twins have a car. around me, some people are walking their dogs or taking a walk with a friend. they're all smiling. i should be smiling.

suna does get out of his car and joins me in silence. i give him a glance, and he returns it, but we sit side by side with nothing to say. or nothing we want to say.

a tennis ball rolls over in our direction, and a black lab chases it down. it doesn't go back to its owner though, but instead approaches us.

"hey!" the dog's owner calls. "rodo, here!" the dog- rodo- looks back at its owner but continues its way towards suna and i. i tense up, but suna pets and plays with the dog. slowly, i inch away, trying to be as subtle as possible.

the owner jogs over and calls rodo once again, who obeys this time.

"sorry," the owner smiles apologetically and walks away. at this point, i've put the most amount of distance between suna and i on this bench, and he notices.

"what?" he asks.

"i-," i shrug towards the direction of the dog. suna looks puzzled for a moment, but the look is quickly replaced by a smirk.

"you're scared of dogs?" a chuckle is hidden behind his words. i furrow my brows and look away, pretending to shade my eyes from the sun. "you are!" he closes the space between us, trying to peer at my shielded face. i shift my body, twisting so he can barely see the embarressed expression i may be holding. suna, however, doesn't budge and grabs the wrist of the arm that's shielding my face. he lowers it and turns my head with his free hand, forcing direct eye contact with me. a smile plays on his lips. i bet he's enjoying this— seeing my face all blushed and nervous.

i gulp down the knob in my throat and quietly answer, "i was chased by one when i was younger. it tackled me to the ground and wouldn't stop licking me."

"so... you don't like being licked?" a devilish grin tugs at the corners of his mouth. my eyes widen. i pull my wrist out from his hand and nudge him.

"you- you can't say stuff like that!" i exclaim, burying my burning face in my hands. suna laughs beside me, clearly enjoying this.

"no need to get so flustered," he says, still chuckling. gently, he pries my hands from my face and tilts it towards him for the second time in the last few minutes. his eyes flicker down, toward my lips, and i reciprocate his glance. his lips look so soft and so...

he's leaning in. i'm staying still. my body wants this, but my brain is conflicted. it's stuck.

i close my eyes and his lips meet mine. they are soft. they are gentle. they are warm. i push towards him, kissing back before pulling away and taking in a breath. he blinks. i blink.

my mind and heart are racing. i have to say something.

"that was my first kiss," i blurt. suna just stares as me, his expression remaining a mixture of shock and confusion. "please say something."

"uh- sorry," he stammers. "i don't know if you were waiting for that right moment or anything. i just- you-," this time, it's suna who seem to be losing his composure, though i wouldn't say i was completely calm at the moment either. he takes in a deep inhale, and soon after, he's back to himself.

"your first kiss, huh?" he teases. "you haven't kissed atsumu yet?" my heart is still pounding in my ears, but what he's saying is irritating me.

"you're the one who made the first move, and you want to talk about atsumu?" i ask, anger building up. do i act like the angry girlfriend now? "atsumu- your supposed best friend. what do you think he'll say when he finds out about this?"

suna's response is a smirk. just holding my hand earlier made him feel a guilty conscience, or so he said.

"one: you kissed back. two: he doesn't have to find out, and three..." he trails off, that smug grin on his stupid face. "i should probably take you home now. you need to have a little chat with your... boyfriend."

i blink once, taken aback. "suna, what the hell?" he ignores me and gets up to walk to his car. however, i grab his hand to pull him back. we are not finished here. "what's up with you all of a sudden?"

suna turns around to look at me and scoffs.

"nothing is up with me, y/n. in fact, maybe i should go tell atsumu what happened just now. he's probably expecting it anyways." i drop his hand.

"w-what?"

//

AUTHOR'S NOTE

... and then y/n woke up. KIDDING

things are really starting to really pick up now, huh... bet you weren't expecting that. ngl, i wasnt expecting that either.

i wrote half of this at work, so sorry if there are any mistakes. hopefully u enjoyed reading hehe

also, i updated the cover! i drew it myself but uh... i kinda don't like it so i might change it again soon.

i have ap tests next week, so idk if i'll be updating, but i'll try to update as soon as i can. see you guys next time ;)
- m