5. rematch

Y/N's POV

let's just say that skee ball was a bust on my end, as well as all the other arcade games we ended up playing. what could i say, i wasn't much of an arcade person. really, my heart was with the books and the arts, and occasionally, sports. 

after i suffered the terrible defeat, suna decided to get me a prize with the tickets he won. i tried telling him that it was useless getting me something, but he did it nonetheless.

"i've got a big fat liar on my hands, don't i?" suna asks, walking beside me outside. i held a small stuffed animal of a pink cat, given by suna.

"no! just a girl who was confident in her abilities," i playfully puff out my chest, putting on a serious face that doesn't last too long. we burst out into laughter.

"right, whatever you say y/n," suna shakes his head with a radiant smile. it was dark out now, with the streets being lit up by the city lights. i was just following suna, but i wasn't sure if he was too sure where he was going either. what a big turnaround from yesterday.

being around him now, i felt a safe and comfortable aura. i was almost 100% sure he wasn't going to push me onto the railroad tracks with an oncoming train passing by, although there was a chance he still might. this was strange though, making new friends certainly did not come this easy, and suna wasn't really an extrovert himself.  

"you know, i could call you a liar too," i say, looking straight ahead.

"oh? how so?" i notice suna's head turn to look at me from my peripheral, so i look back.

"you act like you wouldn't care in the slightest if your friends abandoned you, but i swear, you're a softy." a small, teasing smile has made its way onto my face.

suna scoffs, shaking his head while also possessing a grin. "go ahead and try abandoning me, y/n. let's see what happens. i can guarantee you that it'll be nothing."

"ah well," we stop in our footsteps at the encounter of a bench which overlooks a small pond, lit up by the moon and some light poles. without saying anything, we agree to let our legs rest for a moment. "i guess that just means we aren't friends yet?"

i look up at suna, who is staring at the pond. his eyes are following the bright fish swimming around. in this light, he looks mesmerizing, like when he was driving me home yesterday. his messy hair fell perfectly above his eyes, and a small smile rested on his lips. 

"not yet," he opens his mouth to say. "the day we get to see each other drunk is the day i'll consider us friends, and unfortunately for you, i've given alcohol up for the time being." while the expression on his face remains serious, his tone sounded playful.

"how is that unfortunate for me? if anything, it's a loss for you," i play along. "and just so you know, i don't plan on my first time getting drunk to be around you either. that'll be reserved for the twins and the twins only."

the boy turns to look at me now, his head cocked and a smirk on his face. "first time getting drunk?"

i drop my jaw, a little embarressed that i've just revealed that to suna. i'm aware of my reputation, but i'm sure i'm the only one in my grade who has actively tried to avoid alcohol and drugs. 

suna drops his head back, now staring at the sky. "wouldn't expect anything less from miss goody-two-shoes," he murmurs. feeling like our talk is coming to an end, i tap his shoulder and stare intensely into his eyes, trying to maybe frighten him.

"rematch time!" i chirp, smiling. suna raises his eyebrows, but it drops back down when he realizes i'm serious. i feel a pair of hands grab mine, causing me to glance down, but not blink.

"don't worry, it's only to ensure that you don't cheat," suna explains. my head nods, not able to form any words. i try to stay focused on the staring contest, but i feel my thoughts start to disengage from the competition and focus on the fact the suna's hands were on mine. to add more to the fire, we were literally inches apart on a bench with the royal moon shining a spotlight on us.

feels like something out a movie.

i begin squinting my eyes, feeling a sting. i'm sure he can hear the pounding of my heart, yet he looks completely calm. his hands feel warm.

"come on now y/n, you don't wanna lose this too, right?" suna asks, referring to the skeeball and arcade games that i lost from earlier.

"don't worry suna, i won't," i reassure him. suna has started squinting too, meaning he's nearly at his breaking point. i just have to hold it out for a few more seconds. the urge to just blow a breath of air in his face is tempting, but i'm going to win this one fair and square.

the grasp on my hands from him tighten, and i see a smirk on his face. does he know what he's doing to me right now?

i attempt to calmly inhale a breath, but it turns out a little shaky from the nerves. my eyes are stinging like hell. i can only keep them open for so long...

but suna blinks first. the moment he does, his hands release from mine.

"dammit," he mutters, shaking his head. i let my eyes rehydrate by shutting them and letting the tears come out. i blink a few times and exale.

"i win!" my body jumps up from the bench while my arms fling up in a cheer. 

"good job," suna gets up too, grabbing the stuffed animal and nudging me to start walking again. 

"thank you, thank you," i playfully do a bow and take the stuffed animal from his hands. "does that conclude our night?"

the boy glances at me and then flings his arm around my shoulders, pulling me a little closer to him. my breath hitches in my throat. "i mean, i still have to walk you home, but i guess it does." he looks down at me, holding back a smile. "i hope you had fun."

//

author's note

finally, the rematch! this chapter was short, but i hope you enjoyed it! i wasn't really sure how i should write the rematch, but i think this scene was cute and playful.

the next chapter should be longer. i have some ideas cooked up... >:)

anyways, happy holidays! thank you for the support, i appreciate u <3

- m