chapter 11

11. The astronomy tower

The sound of my book hitting the cold ground, made me startled.

Mattheo brutally spin around and his eyes met mine.  Him again.

Great. I must admit I was a bit scared of being alone with this psychopath. I just stood stere, looking at his hand, going up to his mouth to bring the cigarette between his lips.

I was angry at him, a lot, I despised him, but I was also scared of him.

The way his deadly eyes looked at me in the corridors when he pinned me.

The way he grabbed my wrist earlier in class, in-front of everyone.

The way he was looking at me right now, like a predator, waiting for the prey to show a flaw, a weakness, and then, attack.

Mattheo Riddle was unpredictable, and it was of that I was the most afraid of.

My eyes were on him, my body was shaking and my heart had nearly stopped beating and therefore my chest stopped pounding.

He watched me. He didn't seem surprised of seeing me.

I followed his every move. The way his brought his cigarette over to his mouth, inhaling the smoke then keeping it for a moment to finally set it free. His other hand was stuffed into his pocket.

We couldn't stop starring at eachother.

After a moment, he let his cigarette collapse on the ground and crushed it with one of his costume shoes.

"I think, you drop something" his words finally broke the silence. He pointed the book on the ground with is finger, and then brought it to his cheeks, scratching it.

I bend my back slowly to pick it up, interrupting the eye contact.

Still, I could sense his eyes on me, as if I was a prey, waiting to be eaten alive. 

Mattheo gently step closer, without a sound, but that was enough for me to quickly bounced back and stepped back a little. 

He stopped.

I was looking downward my feet now, waiting for Merlin's know what. I should just go, far away from this murderer.

"What are you reading" he asked, almost with a bit of kindness in his voice.

My head rised abruptly towards him.

"um, its The Great Gatsby, but I don't think you've-" he cut me  

"It's a great book-" he got closer once again, but now we were like really close, and leaned over my right ear. My heart was pounding so hard that my chest couldn't follow. The heat I felt on my face had become unbearable and my palm became sweatier. 

I knew Mattheo could sense how I felt. Seeing me like that, afraid, tense, weak, it was a satisfaction to him and I hated myself for giving this to him.

"Hate to spoiled it, but it was all a dream".

He stayed like this for a moment, examinating my every reaction, my every breath.

Then he withdrew but didn't move back. He was taller than me, so I had to lift my head a little to be able to look at him. He had a smirk, playing on his lips while his deep eyes were staring.

I felt vulnerable, fragile. 

A sudden memories of him pinned me on the wall appeared on my mind. Immediately, the anger I had over him surpassed the fear he inspired.