𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀-𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬

(CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE)

THE next morning, Mabel called me back. My eyes were swollen and my voice was practically gone, but I still answered the phone even though I felt numb and lifeless.

"Hey, Holly. You called last night?" I hummed a yes. "Sorry, I went to bed early. Did you ever get a hold of Charlie?" My eyes welled at just the mention of him.

See, I wanted to just forget about that cocksucker, but it was harder than I thought. I cared for him. Of course I did. That doesn't just go away, it just makes it hurt more that he was so angry and mean to me. I thought we were best friends. Never mind that I had liked him. I thought that we were a bit closer than him getting weird and avoiding me. But I'm trying not to worry about that anymore.

"You told him." My voice broke, but I refused to cry. I stayed up until the sun was touching the horizon again. It was so pitiful and I wished it didn't affect me so badly, but it does and there's nothing I can do about it. I just have to work through it and eventually, I'll be just fine.

It was silent for several seconds before she sighed, "Holly . . ."

"Why would you do that?" And there's the crying. "Mabel, he was so mean to me. I got there and Jen was there and I stayed for dinner because she wanted me to and once I got to talk to him, he was so annoyed by me and disgusted. What did you say?" I tried to keep any crying noises in check, but I knew I was sniffling and lightly sobbing. It just hurt. I'll say it a million times. I wasn't expecting it at all. I figured he'd just brush it off, maybe think it's weird, but I never thought he'd treat me like that.

"I didn't have to say much, honey. I'm so sorry he was so mean about it. He asked me a week ago. He must have had a feeling, I don't know. And I thought . . . I thought it would be better just to tell him, so you could stop being so hung up over him. He's shitty, Holl." I squeezed my eyes shut and shoved my face into my pillow.

"Mabel. Please just come over and hold me, I'll worry about your punishment later." She chuckled sadly before sighing.

"See, I would, but uh . . . I think someone else is missing you." I rolled onto my back to stare at the ceiling, feeling warm tears still streaming down my face.

"If you say your mom—"

"No, babe," She laughed. "He was texting me all night asking where you went. He thought you were with me and you weren't answering, so he got all nervous. It was really cute, but I told him you went to Charlie's." I could guess who she's talking about. I could also lie and say that my lips didn't tick up in the slightest way, but they did.

"Mabel," I whined. "I can't see him right now. I cried all night, so my eyes are swollen. He's . . . too sweet to me. I can't bother him with something like this." She scoffed and I could just see her rolling her eyes. It's not my fault I'm a little cautious. Especially after yesterday.

"Well, he's on his way now. I checked your location this morning and told him you were home. Now get some clothes on and freshen up. He should be there any minute." I whined again, pulling my blankets over my head.

"I'm not finished with you either, Mabel. Fuck, you couldn't have just lied to Charlie or whatever his fucking name is. Just so you know, I never want to see him again, okay? Like ever. He was so terrible to me." I sniffled again and Mabel hummed.

"Yeah, fuck him. I'll be sure to cuss him out for the last time," I wish I could, but I don't even want to let myself have the chance. That would mean being in his presence. "The only reason I told him is because he asked. He had a feeling you did, so he asked me. I just want you to be happy, Holly. And it was either tell him and he feels the same and it's all good or tell him, he tells you he's not interested, and you can move on. I want that more than anything for you. I love you so much." I felt so full of love. I'm so glad that Mabel picked me. That's arguably the first time someone has.