𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑭𝑰𝑭𝑻𝒀-𝑶𝑵𝑬

(CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE)

SO, I may have made a teeny, tiny mistake.

Forget that, it's a fucking huge one, but I need something to do, I'm getting bored.

Another week went by quickly and the only thing I've been doing is my recent routine of reality tv and wine. It's going well, I tell really good jokes. I'm probably the funniest person I know, just saying.

But that got a little redundant, so I may have done something.

I unblocked Charlie's number.

I know, I know, I know! It's stupid, but he's the only person that will willingly talk to me at the moment and I'm lonely. Sue me.

I texted him the other night, just asking what he was up to. He told me the tragic story of breaking up with Jen a few months ago and eventually the conversation shifted to him wanting to get together in person. And previously I would have never even entertained the idea. I wouldn't be talking to him in the first place. But things have changed, why not be a little reckless? It was either that or trying to dig up Stephen's number from somewhere. And I'm not sure I wanted to open that can of worms right now.

He's actually not being annoying which is strange. It's kind of like college again. He's made me laugh and he's decent. Which is surprising, but I'm not thinking about it too hard. It's just fun.

Tonight, actually, we're going to have dinner. It's been a long, long time since we've sat down, just the two of us, and I hope it's like old times. He was one of my best friends and despite the fact that I used to like him, he was my friend first. And it never should have gone any further than that. But you know how it is.

The restaurant we're going to is an upscale place. I've never been because I've never had the funds to pay for it, but Charlie says he's got it, so I left it at that. Since it's such a fancy place, I had to dress up. I stuck with something light and flowy since the weather is so warm. It's actually supposed to rain a bit later, so I hope I can make it back before then so I don't have to get caught in it.

I'm meeting him there and he's supposed to drive me home. He's coming straight from work, that's why he can't pick me up.

I got an uber there and he met me on the street. He was wearing a casual suit, he looked nice. He hugged me as soon as he could get his arms around me.

"How are you, girl? Missed you." He kissed my cheek and then pulled away to smile down at me.

"I'm okay. How are you?" He grabbed my hand in his and started pulling me towards the door.

"Better now that you're here." I couldn't help the smile on my face. That's nice to hear.

We sat in a booth once the hostess led us to a table. He sat on the same side as me which I thought was weird, but I didn't mind it. He ordered us a bottle of wine and once we ordered our food, we started drinking.

"So, what have you been up to? How's work?" I turned towards him so we could talk. It's so nice to finally talk with someone. Sure, I do at work, but it's never anything so simple like this. So casual. It's usually about policies and other shit that only pertains to my job. But this is harmless and it feels good to not worry much about what I'm saying. I know Charlie and we've been friends forever so I can relax.

"Not a lot. Got a promotion last month, but that's about it. How about you?" I almost told him about the award I got, but that thing's been in my closet for two weeks now. I don't want to think about it.

"Same old same. Just trying to get by." He nodded, tapping his glass to mine. The server brought bread by and I just knew that I wouldn't even be able to eat my actual meal because I'd kill this fucking bread before it came. Charlie just watched in amusement as I spread butter all over the piece of bread that I ripped off from the loaf.