36

"What do you mean by 'join his crew with your brothers'?!" Forgotting his position as a king, Neptune gawked at him who stared at above.

"He wanted me to join his crew with my brothers," Luffy repeated with ease. "And no, I do not know the reason."

Neptune stared with his mouth wide open still - though his big mustache covered it - and suddenly into thinking position while muttering rapidly.

Luffy rolled his eyes, listening to his mumbling and ate the remain of his ice cream. Giving him nearly a minute, the immortal decided to wake him up by pinched his cheek and stretched it.

The king snapped out and winced. "Owowowowow!" He rubbed his now reddened swollen cheek and glance at him. "You could at least slapped me."

"No thanks," Luffy said. "Pinch and stretch are better than that option."

Then his eyes gleam making the king stiffened. "Unless you want me to?"

Meaning Neptune have to go through those training he set up again and he nearly shivered at thought of how Luffy enjoying the show of him struggling to escape.

"N-No it's fine," he stuttered warily. "I prefer another." Luffy nodded. "Good choice."

"Anyway about that offer," Neptune change topics, staring at him worriedly. "Are you considering of join him?"

"... I'm not very interested of becoming a pirate," Luffy said slowly. "Like I told you before, it's a lost cause for me to be one and why? Look at me," he stared at the reflection of his face by the bubbles who float toward him by a chance before popped out.

"I may be looked like human but how can someone like me would accept this offer?"

"My friend," Neptune couldn't help but lightly flicked his forehead causing him to blink and looked at him. "Don't you ever think so lowly of yourself, you saved hundred of slaves including fishmen, you raised your brothers under your care and you even saved me. Do you regret doing that by the cause of your actions?"

"...No," Luffy shook his head. "No I do not regret it and... why? What's so special about me?"

"Nothing," Neptune said softly, land his hand on his shoulder carefully. "You're you Luffy and no one else. You're the reason why I am here and you're like a strength to me, you motivates me to become a better king and you taught me that life are something that should never waste."

"..."

"My wife may have passed away but both of you give me a reason to live; Never look back but live to the fullest," Neptune continued. "If I'm going to mourn any longer, she would scolded me for being like that and she doesn't want me to stay in the past for a long time."

"... Does it also involved with your kingdom and the surface?"

"That too," he smiled. "Don't belittle of yourself my friend, I know that I can't get rid of the pain from you but I do believe someone will do it."

"... Thank you my friend," Luffy pull down his mask and give him wide smile. "I always knew that I could count on you for cheering me up."

"That's what friends do," Neptune suddenly beamed, pull out the snail and looked at him excitedly. "Now let's take a selfie!"

"S-selfie?" Luffy blinks, confused at what selfie means. He stared at the snail as if he's been fascinated.

"Selfie!" The king repeats, throwing his arm around his shoulders and smiled. "Now say cheese to the camera!"

"C-cheese...?" Luffy muttered unsurely, put his mask back on and stared at it.

Poor Luffy, looks like you need a lesson about the items in this time. He loves instruments and all but a camera is a strange word for him.

He wondered if his brothers knew about this as well.