Chapter 13

A/N: Double update.  Please read Chapter 12 first.

I stood there for a moment lost in Taehyung's beautiful eyes, not exactly sure what to say or how to pull away from his gaze. There was something about his voice that was drawing me in, pulling me towards him. The sound was intoxicating and like nothing I had ever heard before.

Interrupting the moment between Taehyung and me, Hoseok pulled on my damp shirt, tugging me away from the handsome siren. "Come on Y/N," he said. "We need to get moving sweetheart." I raised an eyebrow at the sudden nickname and the unexpected possessiveness but brushed it off.

I shook my head to clear it from the spell that was Taehyung then nodded. I turned to Taehyung, a grateful smile on my face. "Thank you for saving me, but Hoseok is right. We need to go," I said.

Jimin sidled up next to me and slipped a hand into mine, intertwining our fingers. My first instinct was to pull away, but I knew the sensitive fairy needed the contact so I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, trying to convey to him that I was okay without words. Jimin tightened his grip on my hand and gave me a small sweet smile.

As we turned to go, Taehyung stopped me with a tender hand to my wrist, causing Hoseok to growl again. "May I ask where you are going in such a hurry?" he questioned, a look of inquisitiveness on his face.

I wavered but turned to look at Taehyung. "My brother was cursed by the North Witch. I am heading to see the Dark Wizard for a cure," I said, repeating the same speech I had now delivered three other times. I gestured towards my traveling companions. "Each of them needs to see the Dark Wizard for a different reason."

Taehyung nodded. "Please allow me to accompany you. I would like to meet with the Dark Wizard as well," he said, his voice sad.

I tilted my head. What could this handsome siren need from the Dark Wizard? "What happened?" I asked, unable to hide the curiosity in my words. "Why would you need to visit the Dark Wizard?"

Taehyung looked down, his eyes filled with sorrow and his posture dejected. "Sirens are forbidden from interacting with humans. Strictly forbidden in interfering in interactions between humans and other sirens. The punishment for an action such is this is the worst possible thing that could ever be bestowed upon a siren," Taehyung said, his voice sad.

My heart shattered at his distraught figure and his horrifying words. This beautiful siren was being punished because of me. He chose to save me so he was being punished because of me. The guilt consumed me until I felt like I was losing my breath. I stumbled back and would have fallen if not for the strong arms of Hoseok that suddenly wrapped around me, clinging tightly as though he were afraid I would float away.

Jimin turned to me, a look of horrified panic on his face. He cupped the palm of his free hand to my cheek, clinging tightly to my fingers with the other. "Are... are you alright my darling?" he asked, his voice tinged with worry.

I composed myself then nodded, feeling the strength of Hoseok behind me. "I... I think so," I said, the remorse still stamping a hole in my chest.

Taehyung must have noticed the look on my face because he rushed forward, taking my free hand. "Please do not place the blame on yourself," he said almost desperately. "It was completely of my own free will to make the choice to spare you. If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose to save you. You saved me when you didn't have to. You saved me expecting nothing in return."

I nodded, not quite convinced that I was not completely at fault for his punishment, but his deep voice was so filled with sweetness that I couldn't help but to believe that he truly did not place the blame on me. "If you are sure you would like to come then please do," I said. It was the least I could do since I had placed him in this dreadful position.

I heard a gasp behind and turned to look at Hoseok, forcing Taehyung to drop my hand. "Y/N, sweetheart, you cant be serious," he said, his voice filled with barely concealed irritation. "We are already saddled with Wings. Do we really need to add Bubbles?"

Taehyung narrowed his eyes at Hoseok. "As I said before, dragon, my name is Taehyung, not Bubbles or any other silly thing you might create in that burnt up mind of yours," he snarled out.

I could feel the heat from Hoseok's chest against my back, a sure sign that he would shift into his dragon form soon if I didn't stop him. I pulled out of Hoseok's arms and twisted to look at him. "Please. I've heard enough arguing to last me a lifetime between you, Jimin, and Jin. I can't handle it all right now. Please. Just do this for me or I will continue the journey unaccompanied," I said, my voice serious.

Hoseok sighed and Jimin shrugged. I took their silence as their consent to do what I requested. I gave my attention back to Taehyung, giving him a small smile. "If you're sure, please come with us," I replied.

Taehyung took my hand again, pulling me out of Hoseok's reach. "Thank you beautiful maiden," he gushed, his deep voice filling my ears. He leaned down kiss my hand, but was halted in his actions by Hoseok.

"Watch it Bubbles," Hoseok spat. "Y/N said you could accompany her, not slobber your saltwater breath all over her hand."

I rolled my eyes at Hoseok's words. "Let's go," I declared, moving forward. Taehyung had not let go of my hand and Jimin refused to let go of the other, so I was sandwiched in between the two handsome men. I could hear Hoseok grumbling behind me, but I chose to ignore his churlish behavior. Jin walked along next to Hoseok, but I could tell the two were trying to avoid being drawn into conversation. For whatever reason, those two immensely disliked each other.

We walked in silence for a few minutes along the Vacant River before approaching a small stone bridge that crossed the murky water. As we crossed the bridge, I noticed Taehyung looking longingly at the water rushing below us. I could sense the concern in his features. He was leaving his home and wasn't sure when he would return to it. "What is your punishment?" I suddenly inquired of Taehyung, my voice filled with curiosity.

Taehyung looked down at our hands that were still joined, but I didn't miss the desolation in his stance. Either the punishment was so severe that it made him uncomfortable to talk about or he was hesitant to tell me in worry that I would feel even guiltier. I guessed it was the latter since he squeezed my fingers reassuringly before responding. "This punishment is the worst punishment that can be bestowed. For a siren, this punishment is even worse than death," Taehyung took a deep breath then spoke again. "We lose our Siren Song."