Chapter 22

As we continued our trek through the Inferno, I continued to think about Ember, Yoongi's Phoenix. More than once during our journey, she had landed on my shoulder, nuzzling into my cheek like a long lost friend. Every single time, Yoongi would look over at me, a strange look on his face, as though he didn't understand what was going on. And at this point, I'm sure he didn't.

We were nearing the end of our journey through the Inferno and I had been so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even see Yoongi had taken Jungkook's place by my side. Although I was nervous at first about being so close to the demon, I pushed the though aside. Throughout the journey, I had met so many magical beings that normally would frighten me, but so far they have proven to be nothing but caring.

Jimin was as sweet as the day is long, refusing to leave my side even for an instant. When he thought I had drowned, he was so broken up about it, tears streaming down his plump cheeks. Hoseok had been cheerful and bubbly, always willing to comfort me. I kept thinking about the way he entertained himself by blowing smoke rings out his nose.

Although Jin was an angel, he had been cast out of heaven due to the crime he committed, but it was done with the best of intentions. He had never once given me any reason to fear him, going so far as to protect me from the others when he deemed it necessary. Taehyung, even though he could have let the other siren kill me, chose to save my life. It cost him the thing that made him special but he showed no regrets at all.

Jungkook had been very similar to Jin, stepping in to protect me when he thought it was needed, even from the more powerful demon. Yes he was relying on me for blood to keep the symptoms of his curse at bay, but he had also been gentle and caring. Yoongi surprised me the most of all. Since he was a demon, I would have suspected he would have already killed me or stolen my soul, but he had done nothing of the sort. He was completely different from what I expected and it startled me.

We reached the end of the Inferno and I could hear the sigh of relief from the fairy next to me. Even though the temperature had been surprisingly pleasant, I knew the Inferno made him nervous. Yoongi let out a snort at Jimin's reaction and I wanted to pinch his side, but refrained from touching the demon in such a casual manner.

The sun was just beginning to set as we finally saw the entrance to Wolf Woods. Just on the other side of Wolf Woods was the final passage through to the Dark Wizard. I could feel the anxiety starting to build seeing as we were so close but still so far away. I wondered how Kai was doing with my brother and if everything was okay. It had been several days since I had seen them and the worry for my brother was threatening to take over me.

As though he could my anxiety levels rising, Jin subtly pushed Yoongi and Jimin away from me, putting a gentle arm around my shoulders, providing comfort in the only way he knew how. I could see the irritation on Jimin's face but ignored it. The fairy had been insistent on remaining by my side, but at this moment in time, Jin's quiet presence was what I needed the most. Yoongi stepped back, the same irritation mirrored on his face but said nothing. I could see Ember flying above us, making the motions as though she was going to land on my shoulder, but would fly away when she approached, the presence of Jin undoubtedly making her uncomfortable.

"Y/N? Do... do you think the rumors are true about Wolf Woods?" Taehyung finally asked, breaking the silence that had taken over our group for the last hour.

I nodded my head. "Yes. The legends say that Wolf Woods is inhabited by werewolves, but since I've never been through here, I've never seen one."

Jimin moved closer to my side. "Are you nervous about meeting one?"

Turning to give the fairy a reassuring smile, I noticed he showed no signs of nervousness at all. "I... I don't know. I feel like I should be, but then part of me is saying that I've met so many people that are supposed to be scary, but I'm not scared of any of you."