Chapter 28

Racing through the darkness of the woods, I tried to outrun the creature following me, but my steps were simply too slow. Anytime it seemed as though I would get away, the creature would surge forward closing the distance between us. I knew I was runningout of time, but there was nothing I could do to move any faster. I had almost made it past the tree line, past the creature's domain, when a familiar figure stepped out from behind the trees, his silver hair glowing in the moonlight. I halted my footsteps in surprise at the figure in front of me. He had blood on his face, at his throat and matted in his silver hair. His white shirt was shredded almost completely, exposing the honey skin beneath it that was covered in wounds. I raced towards the familiar face of Namjoon, thankful for the appearance of the werewolf, but I stopped just in front of him at the look of rage and hatred in his eyes. A look similar to that of the chimera.

"What's the matter sunshine? Why do you look so afraid? You're not scared of me, are you?" Namjoon's voice was mocking as he spoke, any trace of warmth was gone. "Of your entire ragamuffin group, I would think you would be a little more trusting of me."

I stepped back from Namjoon, not understanding what was happening, why he was looking at me like this. This wasn't the same werewolf I had met in the woods, the one who had been so caring and gentle, and the one who had tried to protect me from the werewolf. "Joon? What... what is going on? What is happening right now?"

Namjoon laughed, the sound forced and malicious. "What is going on? If it wasn't for you, I would be alive right now. I wouldn't have had to beg for my life from the chimera, beg her not to kill me. But no. I had to get mixed up with a silly little human who couldn't even take care of herself. A worthless little human that cares more about her own safety than anyone else's."

Namjoon's words filled me with guilt. "Alive? Does... does that mean...?" I couldn't get the rest of the question out, my voice giving out on me.

"What do you think? The chimera never releases people alive. It killed me. I'm dead because of you. I should have let it kill you then none of this would have happened." The fury was clear in Namjoon's voice and it scared me, scared me more than the terrifying creature that was closing in on me.

Not able to stop the tears that spilled down my cheeks, I hesitantly reached out a hand to him. "Please Joon. You don't mean that." At his snarl, I hurriedly stepped back, putting space between the angry werewolf and myself. "I'm... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I didn't mean for you to get hurt. I swear it to you."

Taking a step towards me, Namjoon reached out and grabbed my shirt, dragging me close to his face. "Your little apologies mean nothing to me. You should have died in my place. And now I can make sure that happens." His midnight eyes turned to silver and pale grey fur began to sprout from his skin, distorting his handsome appearance, making him appear more like a monster than the handsome man I had come to trust.

"Y/N!"

"Y/N!"

"Y/N! Wake up sweetheart! Please open your eyes!" The sound of my name being shouted in panic and the worried voice finally broke through my conscience, pulling me from the darkness of the nightmare. I struggled to open my eyes just to see a head of bright red hair in front of my face, his pretty eyes filled with worry.

"What... what happened?" My voice was rough as though I had a cold and my mind was filled with confusion.

Taehyung shoved Hoseok out of the way and kneeled in front of me. "You were screaming and thrashing around. We... we couldn't wake you up."

The arms that I didn't notice were wrapped around me tightened and a sweet voice whispered close to my ear. "We didn't know what to do. So I... I hugged you while they... while they tried to wake you up." Jimin's voice was shaky and tight with concern.