Chapter 4

Jimin and I headed down the path around the edge of the Night Woods. At this time of night, the woods were dark, the only light from the purple moon above it. It lit our path enough for us to see clearly. I was surprised at the brightness of the purple moon. It was so different from the moon I saw from my porch each night. The familiar sounds from the North Woods had faded and were replaced by sounds I was not used to.

Jimin pointed to some strange markings on the left side of the ground then pointed to the left side of the road. "Those marks are the separation between Fairy Grove and the Night Woods. Besides Fairy Grove, the Night Woods is the only place fairies can go. It has things we need for spells, so the King of Fairies granted us access."

"Why are you able to go see the Dark Wizard then?" I asked, unable to keep the curiosity from my voice.

Jimin shrugged. "Without my wings and powers, I'm not considered a supernatural being. I can travel anywhere now. I always wanted to travel. I just never expected this would be the only way I would be able to," he said, smiling sadly.

I couldn't help but start to feel pity for the sad fairy. I put a hand on his shoulder, startling him. "It's going to be okay, Jimin," I said gently. "We'll get you to the Dark Wizard. Hopefully he will be able to help you get your powers and wings back."

Jimin smiled brilliantly. "That's the first time you said my name. It sounds so pretty coming from you," he said, his cheeks flushing.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever fairy. Keep moving," I said, a smirk on my face. Jimin's smile disappeared and a pout graced his pretty lips. I laughed at his reaction and continued on down the path around the Night Woods.

A loud growl from the Night Woods startled me and I stumbled backwards, tripping over Jimin who had fallen into step behind me. He caught me in his embrace, wrapping both arms around me and preventing me from tumbling into the dirt. "What was that?" I asked quietly, fear evident in my voice.

Jimin smiled at my reaction. "Not used to the animals in the Night Woods, are you?" he asked, gently, holding me in his arms.

I looked up at his hypnotic eyes. I had to admit: the powerless fairy was exceptionally beautiful. I shook my head, feeling silly at my fear.

Jimin nodded. "That particular growl is from the Nocturnal Hare. It's mating call, which you heard, is much scarier than you would expect from the animal itself," he said.

I raised an eyebrow in shock. "Nocturnal Hare? You mean like a bunny?" I asked.

Jimin nodded again. "That's exactly what it's like. It's a really interesting animal," he replied.

I ducked my head in embarrassment. "It sounded so much bigger than it is," I said quietly.

Jimin put a finger under my chin and lifted my face to his. "If you're not familiar with the animals in the Night Woods, they can seem much scarier than they are," he said gently.

I pulled my face from his grasp then shook my head. "Well, as much as I would love to hear about these fabulous animals, we need to keep moving," I said, adjusting my satchel across my body. I was trying to distract myself from getting lost in those eyes. He had a way of holding me in his gaze, making me forget the purpose of this whole journey. I had to keep thinking of Reese. I needed to get to the Dark Wizard and get back to save my brother.

Jimin sighed at my quick change in personality, but followed behind me anyways.

We walked along in silence for a few moments until I caught the sight of a magnificent bird. It was shining silver with piercing blue eyes. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The sounds coming from its hooked beak were almost musical sounding.

Jimin caught my expression, but said nothing. After my outburst, I'm sure he was hesitant to say anything to me. I felt a pang of guilt for the harsh way I had treated him. He had proved to be nothing but kind and respectful.

"What was that?" I asked carefully.

Jimin hesitated then ran a hand through his fluffy bubblegum hair. "That was an Iridescent Eagle. Although they are rampant in the Night Woods, it is rare to see one. They tend to stray away from being seen. It is especially rare to see the blue eyed ones. The two I have seen both had golden eyes. The blue eyed one is even more rare and precious," Jimin explained.

I watched him in rapt attention. "How do you know so much?" I asked.

Jimin shrugged his shoulders. "I'm an animal fairy," he said simply, pulling a medallion engraved with a cat of some sort out of his shirt. The medallion was gold in color and on a black cord. "I know the animals as well as I know myself."

I stared him in amazement. This was the last thing I had expected him to say. I wasn't expecting him to be an animal fairy. With as pretty as he was, I figured... I halted my thoughts. I could not be thinking these thoughts about him.

As though Jimin sensed my hesitation, he pointed out another animal in the Night Woods. I would have completely missed it if he hadn't shown me. As we continued along the path, Jimin continued to point out the different animals that we saw or heard. His knowledge amazed me and I loved listening to him.

Although I had been hesitant to allow Jimin to join me, I had to admit his presence was comforting as we traveled along the edge of the Night Woods. Even though he wasn't very tall, he stood several inches taller than me. As we walked along, I snuck glances at him when he wasn't looking, unable to tear my gaze away for long from this beautiful man.