Chapter 29

The sun was just starting its slow descent in the sky when we approached the Dark Castle. From far away, it was a black silhouette against the sun, but as we got closer, it shimmered in the light, casting rainbows to cross the sky, filling it with color. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen and I wondered about the wizard who lived there. After my parents had returned from their journey to see him, they didn't say much about the Dark Wizard. Their only remarks were about the spell he had cast, the spell that would allow them to leave this world the way they wanted to: together.

We stepped up towards the gates of the Dark Castle, tall iron gates between two stonewalls that soared into the sky, when a weight settled on my shoulder. Ember nuzzled her face into my cheek and I gently stroked the Phoenix's head, the beautiful animal pushing her head closer to my touch. "Hello love. Haven't seen you in a little bit." Ember made a sound that resembled an apology before flying over to land on Yoongi's shoulder.

"Where have you been my friend? And you greeted a human before me?" Yoongi's inquiry sounded almost offended, but when he turned to me, he had a smile on his face. "She tends to disappear for a bit. She returns when she feels like it."

I returned his smile, wanting to know more about his strange pet, but at that moment the gates of the Dark Castle began to creak and shudder as they slid open. I looked around at the rest of my companions, but most of their faces were just as shocked as my own. The only one who didn't look surprised was Jin. "Similar to Heavenly Rock, the Dark Castle will only open for a pure soul, someone with only the best of intentions, whose request is for someone's benefit rather than their own."

Jungkook appeared at my side and squeezed my hand. "Looks like that would be you, doll. The rest of us are here to help ourselves. You're the only one of us who is here for someone else."

Shaking my head, I protested at Jungkook's words. "No. The rest of you need him, too. You lost something that makes you who you are."

Sighing sadly, Jimin moved to my other side. "Fangs is right, my darling. We're all here for selfish needs. Your reason is the only pure reason. Take me for example. I'm here because I want my wings and powers back. All of us want something for ourselves."

Reaching out, I took Jimin's hand, not missing the smile that crossed his face as I did so. "It's going to be okay. Remember? You kept telling me that?"

Jimin nodded and squeezed my hand then laced our fingers together, his intentions clear: We started this together so we're going to finish this together. With a last nod, I tugged Jimin and Jungkook forward and stepped through the gates. The rest followed behind and when the gates shut with a groan, I shivered at the noise. We were here. It was now or never.

We made our way up the cobblestone path, the grounds of the Dark Castle spreading out on either side. There were flowers I had never seen before along with small animals that looked like cats but had long ears like bunnies and long fangs like a musk deer. If it weren't for their cute little faces and the happy sounding chirps, they would have been terrifying. Turning to Jimin with questions in my eyes, I pointed to the animals.

"Fanged Doe Cats." Gesturing for me to kneel, Jimin pulled a piece of fruit from his pocket and held it out to one of the little creatures. The little animal came right up to Jimin and took the food from his hand before climbing into his lap then scampering up to his shoulder, where it rested its paws on his head. Its little ears fell down over its face as it chewed the fruit, happy chirps spilling from its mouth. "They're exceptionally friendly." As Jimin spoke, we were surrounded by the cute little animals, which begged for our attention as they pawed at our legs.

I hesitantly picked one up then stood, cooing as it nuzzled its face into my neck. "Look Jungkook. These would be a perfect pet for you!" I showed the little animal to Jungkook, pointing at its little fangs.