Chapter 19

As we made our way between the massive cliffs that rose on either side of the pit, I had an eerie feeling that something was seriously wrong. Although I was grateful that we didn't have to deal with the massive heat that usually engulfed the Inferno, I knew there was something happening here that shouldn't be.

I looked at my traveling companions and could see similar looks of confusion on their faces. Even Jungkook was eyeing the landscape curiously, looking around in surprise. Jin, who was standing at my side, turned his gaze to me. "Something is wrong here," he said, almost in a whisper.

Nodding my head in agreement, I looked around, looking for any indication of the monster that inhabits the Inferno, but I saw nothing. Not wanting to feel a false sense of security, I kept my eyes open and my mind sharp as we slowly continued. The air around us was still and strangely silent. Even the constant arguing between Hoseok and Jimin had been temporarily halted. It was almost as if they knew something was happening and they needed their wits about them.

As we walked, I turned to check on Jungkook, knowing he would need blood eventually. The silver lines were slowly starting to make their way across his face, but I knew he would be able to hold out for a little while longer. I heard a loud gasp of horror and turned back to see Taehyung staring straight ahead, his hand outstretched. I followed his finger and my own mouth dropped in surprise.

In front of us, at least 20 feet tall, was a figure. The translucent quality almost reminded me of a ghost and I realized it was composed of smoke and not actually a solid substance. I automatically took a step backwards, bumping right into Jin's chest. The angel wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close, his midnight wings unfurling and closing in around me in a protective embrace.

Jungkook and Hoseok stepped in front of me, their stances shielding me from whatever was in front of me. I tried to peek around them, but Jin tugged me backwards, further into the protection of his wings. Jimin and Taehyung came and stood on either side of Jin, their faces filled with worry.

As I watched the black smoke swirled, expanding before dissipating completely. In its place stood a man. Just as before the handsome man standing in front of me stunned me speechless. He had coal black hair that fell over his forehead and pale skin the color of porcelain. He didn't look to be much taller than Jimin, his frame just as slight as the fairy.

As the unknown man slowly approached, I could hear the menacing growl from Hoseok and tendrils of smoke began to seep from his nostrils. If I didn't move quickly, he would shift. With a struggle, I pulled myself from Jin's arms and placed a hand on the shoulder of the angry dragon. Hoseok turned at my touch and the smoke began to dissipate, indicating he was slowly calming down.

The man stopped in front of us and I was once again struck by how handsome he was. His coffee colored eyes were changing from soft brown to red to orange to black and back again in an instant. He studied me for a moment, saying nothing. Almost as though I couldn't resist, I stepped forward, drawn to him in a way I couldn't explain.

Hoseok tried to take my hand to halt my progress, but I couldn't resist. The pull of the man in front of me was just too strong. There was nothing I could do to stop it. Taehyung called out my name but I could barely hear the words he was saying. All I could think was to allow myself to be drawn to this extremely handsome man. Allow myself to be pulled to him.

The man watched my progress toward him, extending a hand out for me, which I instantly reached to take. Before my fingers could touch his, Jungkook yanked me backwards. "Are you crazy?" he snapped out. "What the heck are you thinking?"

I turned to Jungkook, pulling myself from his strong grip, my mind filling with confusion. "What are you talking about?" I asked, not sure what caused the wave of anger currently rushing from Jungkook.

"He's a demon Y/N," Jungkook spat. "He's deliberately drawing you in."

"Your little bloodsucking boyfriend is correct," the man in front of me said. "But it feels so nice doesn't it? How you want to come over here and take my hand and let me do whatever I please with you?"

Jin stepped up behind me, muttering in my ear. "Resist sweet girl. Do not let him pull you in."

Jin's words were like a splash of ice water over my face and the pull to him was instantly severed. I backed up, putting some distance between the handsome man and myself. Jimin sidled over to my side, slipping his hand back into mine, offering his silent reassurance. Taehyung moved to my other side, gripping tightly to my other hand. The siren and the fairy looked at each other and there seemed to be an unspoken agreement between them.

The handsome man sighed glaring at the two beside me, but then his gaze softened as he turned his attention back to me. "It's okay Angel," he said, his voice soft. "I'm not going to hurt you. Don't you trust me?"

At his words, I felt the strange pull again, but Jimin and Taehyung continued to hold my hands, preventing me from reaching out to him again. Jin returned to my side. "Listen to me sweet girl," he murmured softly. "Trust me. I will protect you."

The man rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Really?" He snarled. "Is she really so important? You have to protect her that closely?"

Jin nodded without hesitation. "Yes," he replied. "Yes she is that important."

Throwing his hands up in surrender, the man sighed. "Fine. Keep your precious human. There are plenty more just like her without the protection of her boyfriend and his ragamuffin group."

Jimin spoke up beside me. "Fangs is not her boyfriend," he snapped out, clearly tired of the man's words.

The man sent Jimin an amused look. "Oh then you are?" he asked. "Hmmm... didn't think a pretty human like her would go for a fairy. I guess it is what it is."

Jimin's face flushed red, but he said nothing. "Who are you really?" I asked, wanting to know why this man had such a pull on me.

"The bloodsucker was correct. I am a demon. I'm the ruler of the Inferno," he said, his voice regal. "But you, Angel, may call me Yoongi."

"My name is Y/N," I replied, still caught up in the man's handsome looks. He extended a hand out to me, but I hesitated.

"It's oaky this time Angel," Yoongi reassured me. "I promise." I put my hand in his and Yoongi lifted it to his mouth, kissing the back of it. "Such soft smooth skin. Wouldn't you want to stay by my side and be my queen? We can rule the Inferno together."

"What good is the Inferno without the flame?" Jungkook asked, a sneer in his voice.

Yoongi's eyes turned black as he turned his attention to Jungkook. "You know nothing about what has happened here," he snapped, his voice filled with rage.

Worried for Jungkook's safety, I pulled Yoongi's attention back to me. "What did happen here Yoongi?" I asked, my voice gentle.

Yoongi hesitated but then turned back to me, his eyes returning to their soft coffee color. "A tragedy, Angel," he replied, his eyes suddenly filled with grief. "A tragedy happened here." Yoongi's eyes cleared and the smirk returned. "But my story is not important. Why are you trying to cross my realm?"

I hesitated, not wanting to reveal too much information about myself. "We're on our way to see the Dark Wizard," I stated. "We all need his assistance in one way or the other."

Yoongi's beautiful changing eyes shifted colors again, changing to a bright orange, before the soft brown returned once again. "May I accompany you?" he requested.

Turning to Jin, he subtly nodded his head. "I will be able to protect you from him if he comes with us," he reassured me. "You will be in no danger."

Yoongi's eyes flashed a frightening red. "Your human is in no danger from me," he barked, his handsome face flushing in anger.

"I guess that remains to be seen now, doesn't it?" Jin asked, his eyes amused.

Rolling my eyes at their behavior, I turned back to Yoongi. "You can come," I replied. "Do you think the Dark Wizard will help you?"

Yoongi shrugged. "I guess I can only hope," he replied, his changing eyes filled with a strange glint of hope.