Chapter 17

For the second morning in a row, I woke to a fairy asleep with his head in my lap. Sometime during the night, Jimin had slid from my shoulder to my lap, nuzzling close to me. He was facing the back of the sofa, one small hand under his cheek, the other hand clutching tightly to mine. I ran a hand through his bubble gum pink hair and he nuzzled closer, smiling in his sleep. The thought of anyone hurting this sweet fairy hung heavy in my mind, but he was braver than even I could imagine. The way he stood up for me in front of Jungkook made my heart melt just a little for him.

I felt a heavy weight on my shoulder and turned to see Hoseok sleeping peacefully on my shoulder, his bright red hair flopping over his forehead. Jin was asleep stretched out on the other sofa and Taehyung was asleep on the floor, a pillow under his head. I didn't see Jungkook anywhere but I could smell something delicious from the direction of what I assumed to be a kitchen. I gently moved Hoseok's head to the other side and slid Jimin's head to rest on the sofa cushion. He whined in his sleep, reaching his small hands out for me, but I managed to move away.

I followed the scent down a short hallway and soon I could hear the sounds of humming and the clang of wood on metal. I pushed open a wooden door and walked into a large kitchen. Jungkook, who was standing at the stove, turned at my entrance, giving me a smile. The silver lines were starting to reappear on his handsome face and I knew I would have to offer him my blood again soon. Although I didn't know him, there was something about Jungkook that captivated me and I wanted to do whatever I could to help the beautiful vampire.

"Good morning doll," Jungkook said, his voice husky. "I didn't think you'd be able to sneak away from the fairy. He was snuggled up to you pretty close."

I shrugged, not sure what kind of response he was expecting. "You're up early," I commented, looking around at the various dishes on the counter. Everything smelled so good and I knew it had taken time.

"I don't need much sleep," Jungkook replied. "I just usually sleep for a couple of hours than I'm up the rest of the night."

"Do you live here alone?" I asked, curious about his family or if he even had any, but not sure how to approach the topic.

Jungkook's eyes filled with sorrow. "Yes. I've lived here alone for the last 350 years," he said.

"350 years? But you look so young!" I blurted out then realized how dumb my words sounded. Of course he looked young. He was a vampire who didn't age.

Jungkook gave me an amused smile, but then his smile dropped. "I was 23 when I was turned," he informed me, his tone dark.

"Turned?" I asked. "Someone else made you a vampire?" I didn't know much about vampires or about how they came to be. I guess I slept through that topic in school.

"Yes. There was a lovely vampire, almost as lovely as you. I was sure I loved her," Jungkook explained. "She convinced me to let her turn me so we could be together forever."

My heart broke at his words, knowing the rest of his tale would not be a happy one. I placed a hand on Jungkook's shoulder. "It's okay," I reassured. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Jungkook shook his head. "No it's okay," he said, his beautiful changing eyes shadowed and filled with grief. "It turned out that she didn't love me after all. I was merely a pawn in her game. She needed the blood of a pure male to break a curse. I was that pure male."

Hearing what the vile vampire had done to him made my heart shatter even further, breaking into tiny shards at the hurt for the young man Jungkook had been, blinded by love and tricked by a temptress.

Jungkook sighed then continued. "When I returned home, I learned that my parents and younger sister had been killed. Drained by a vampire," he said, clearly reliving the horrible memory.