Chapter 5: Bloodshed

This chapter might be rushed slightly, had a lot to do, so putting this out was difficult.

Also, I want to point out a reminder that there will be major story changes for Voltron! So, please keep that in mind. The next chapter (not the next part) will be from the canon story, however!  

This is also a Pidge and OC focused story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been three weeks since the battle that drained Mathias' energy. He had recovered quickly, returning life to normal. Galran activity had decreased drastically over the past two weeks. While unsettling, it did give everyone a nice break in the meantime. Hunk practiced recipes, Lance... being Lance, Keith practicing on his techniques with his Bayard, Shiro strengthening his bond with his Lion, Mathias and Pidge working on new inventions and technologies together, Coran tidying up the Castle and even Allura stopping to take five. That all changed when a Blade of Mamoria contacted them just moments ago about a Galran prisoner convoy near the Castle, returning everyone to the battle hardened state. Everyone had gathered on the bridge to examine an image of the convoy of Galran ships, as well as the prisoner transport cruiser. It wasn't heavily armed, but not unarmed either. They were deep with an asteroid belt, as if using it for cover.

"Do we have any intel about who or what is onboard the ship?" Mathias asked, staring at the prisoner ship's escort cruisers.

"I'm afraid not, but regardless of that, we have to rescue everyone on that ship," Allura responded with a very determined look on her face.

"Does anyone have a plan for how we can rescue the prisoners?" Keith asked, bringing up a big topic.

"I think we should take all the Lions out, destroy the escorts, board the ship, save the prisoners, and BOOYAH, we're done!" Lance made exaggerated movements as he 'explained' his plan out to the group. Shiro and Keith looked unamused.

Mathias shook his head, "not a good idea to send all the Lions out like that." Everyone looked at him strangely.

"Why not? I mean, look at that puny fleet. They wouldn't even last five minutes!" Lance shouted while crossing his arms on his chest.

"Commander Talyor always said 'keep on your guard, don't go all out and use everything at once. Doing so will put you in bad positions.' From what I've seen of Voltron. Should something go wrong, we can't let the Galra get all the Lions at once should they have an unexpected ace up their sleeves," Mathias explained. Everyone looked at each other and nodded.

"What do you propose?" Allura questioned, raising her eyebrow.

"Do you have a map of the internals of the ship, or at least that type of ship?" Mathias asked. Allura nodded and pressed a few buttons on the console. A projection of the ship's interior appeared in front of him. He studied the ship for a moment, murmuring to himself before looking back at the image of the convoy and the asteroid belt.

"Well..?" Lance seemed impatient.

Mathias placed a hand under his chin, thinking for a moment before a light bulb went off in his head, "alright, I got a plan." Everyone listened as Mathias began to explain his plan, "First things first, I need to know: who here pilots the most defensive or armored Lion?"

Hunk raised his hand, "that would be me and Yellow."

"Alright. I want you to remain out of the battle zone, yet nearby it. I'll explain why in a moment," Mathias said. Hunk gave a nod as Mathias looked back to the ships and continued, "so, these ships are in an asteroid belt, meaning that they have limited mobility. Shiro, Lance and Keith. You will be the main fighters of the battle. Your job is to deal with the nearby cruisers and fighters. While you guys are taking care of the main forces, Pidge and I will board the ship in my fighter and free the prisoners. I was also thinking Pidge could access the reactors and set them to overload. Once we free the prisoners, we will jettison them in an escape pod or pods. The two of us will escape and rendezvous back with Hunk to allow Pidge to go back to the Green Lion. This is where Hunk comes into play. He will swoop in and retrieve the pod or pods that escape and transport them back to the Castle. The Castle will remain outside of the combat zone, unless things go to hell, then Allura and Coran will push in to assist. Keith, if things go bad for us, move out of the fight outside and come help us in the ship. Any questions?"

"So I just escort the prisoners out? Okay, not bad, I like it," Hunk said with relief.