Chapter 22: SDF-1, Defender of the Earth

TBH, this is the longest story I've written lol

Also, several story elements have been changed, so be aware of divergence

Swear warning for this chapter!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 months later...

A clear sky hung overhead the ruins of the destroyed Earth, with not a single cloud in sight. A roar was heard, casting itself through the heavens, but not the roar of a lion. Flying in the distance, a lone fighter pierced through the skies, a trail following behind it.

The fighter was equipped with many machine guns, lasers, and missiles all along its body, as well as high armored plates. The wings swept forward, with massive missiles underneath the mighty wings. The fighter sported a lustrous black and blue color scheme. Inside of the cockpit sat Mathias Anderson, looking around at the destruction around him, a grim face casted upon him. He was flying a VF-31 Armored Siegfried, something he was not entirely used to, even after 5 months of first using it.

He passed by a ruined city, and slowed to a halt, turning his fighter into GERWALK mode before slowly slipping down into the ruins of the city. He popped open the canopy and hopped out of the cockpit, a small notepad in his hand. He opened a small UI and tapped away at some buttons before sighing and dropping his datapad to his side.

"Another ruined city... that makes five in the last half hour..." Mathias slumped mentally. He rubbed his eyes, slowly becoming exhausted, then returned to his seat. The moment he sat down, a small voice caught his ears as he closed the canopy.

"-ome in! Commander Anderson, please respond!" That was one of the squad leaders he appointed recently. Mathias smirked, thinking about the last call that leader made. He pressed a button, as a man appeared on the other side, wearing a similar pilots uniform to his own.

"Anderson speaking, what is it, Lieutenant Baker?" He asked, gripping the controls.

"'WHAT IS IT?!' Major, you've been silent for the past couple of hours!" Baker shouted, his eyes panicking.

"Really? Oh, shit! Sorry!" Mathias rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"Commander Anderson! Request permission to move on from here!" Another pilot asked, his voice sounding rather annoying.

"Aigaion 4, you will NOT deviate course until you have completed your sweep!" Mathias shouted in anger. He heard an 'eep!' from the other side before the comms went dead.

"Strigon 1 to Aigaion leader, request permission to examine a ruined military structure?" A voice called out.

"Granted, be safe," Mathias huffed.

"Commander, I know this is a bad time to call, but can I ask for some time off?" Another pilot asked.

Mathias clumped his fist together, "NOT FUCKING NOW!" He screamed, then shut off his comms to his unit. He sighed in aggravation, then leaned back in his seat. These past few months have been stressful on him, he felt like he was going to have grey hair by 30. Another comms buzzed in his ear, which he growled at. He was about to answer and scream his head off, but stopped when he saw the caller, it was Katie. He needed a break from the day. He quickly cooled himself and answered, a casual Katie appeared on the screen, smiling.

"Hey, Max, I- woah?! You look exhausted! You okay?" she piped in on the weary looking pilot.

Mathias chuckled slightly, "yeah... just some idiots I'm working with, and a lot on my shoulders. Plus, that's the first time you've used my nickname in a while."