Chapter 19: SHORT 3: SDFN-12

I'm so spaced out lol

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Log entry... I... I don't remember the date. At long last, I have finally found the Macross. It was badly damaged, and moss had covered the exterior of the hull. Using the damaged VF-171, I managed to land in one of the main hangars of the ship. I've spent an entire day searching most of the ship, no sign of the crew or any civilians. It looks like they may have abandoned the ship a long time ago. I have found several skeletons, which doesn't make this feel any better.

It looks like the majority of the ship is still intact, and the systems within it may still be operational. Only one problem, I'm only one person, this ship is run by about 10,000. It's especially difficult with the massive amounts of vines that cover the ship. Speaking of which, the vines seem to have 'patched up' the ship, in a sense. It's like placing a bandaid on a ship. I'm heading to the bridge now to see if I can start the ship or at least try to. End Recording."

Mathias sighed as placed the small phone in his pocket and stopped in front of the door to the bridge. He was a little scared at what he might find, but he wasn't sure why. Hesitantly, he pressed the button to open the door, which didn't budge. No shocker. He rolled his eyes as he pressed up on the door and pushed it. A screech came from the metal door as it moved out of the way, giving him access to the bridge of the ship. He glanced around the interior of the bridge and wasn't as fearful as he thought. Like most of the ship, it was entirely abandoned, the once clear glass was a slight green, which he slightly despised. He walked to the captain's chair, and noticed a small, torn white hat on the seat of the chair. He picked up the hat and gently brushed some dust off of the hat.

"This belonged to the Field Commander..." he held the hat close, then drew a deep breath, "I'm sorry, sir... I'm the last of us left..." He pulled the hat closer to his chest and sighed. Looking back up, he gently laid the hat back on the seat and walked over a console directly in front of the captain's chair. He pressed a few buttons that flickered to life, somehow.

"Huh... emergency power systems are still online, a bit shocking, to say the least," he remarked as he pressed a few buttons, "more than enough power to scan the ship and give a report. Perfect." He pressed a few buttons and waited for a moment before a long report came through

"Is this what the bridge crew has to go through on a daily basis? Sheesh..." he slumped forward for a moment then read the list that came in, "let's see... primary systems offline, but can be reactivated, main gun offline and needs slight recharge, Fold systems offline, but operable. Fighters, drones, and Destroids on standby... okay. Major structural damage on the port side, deck 122, section 3, but sealable using bulkheads. It looks like the crew attempted to repair this ship before evacuating it. That makes my job so much easier... Now, let's see if I can get this ship to breathe once again." He walked to a nearby console to his right and pressed some buttons. A hud of the Macross came up on a screen above him, showing several areas starting to turn different shades of grey, red and silver.

He smiled brightly, "amazing! This ancient ship is coming back to life once again! Just like the battleships!" The ship started to shake slightly from the engines and the reactor surging with life, the ship powering up once again. He quickly rushed back to the previous station to monitor some readings.

"Alrighty, looks like power is holding steady, and all major systems are back online!" He shouted with joy. A sudden thought came to mind, making him stop, "wait... if this ship was still operational, why did the crew abandon the ship... that doesn't make any sense." He decided to make his way to a large console with a very tall screen and sit down in the dusty and dirty chair, a small ounce of regret followed him on his action. He cracked his knuckles and began to type on the keys.