Chapter 9: The Siren's Song

*insert a bad joke here*

This chapter is here to break apart the canon chapters a bit.

Harsh Language warning!

You've been warned...

--------------------------------------------------------

Mathias held his rifle with an intense grip as he stood next to Pidge in the Green Lion. His EX-GEAR suit ready for combat, and his helmet displaying multiple huds. An anomalous reading on a nearby planet sparked interest and concern into everyone. All of the Paladins hopped into their Lions and went to investigate. Mathias joined as well, but had to stay with Pidge as his fighter was still under extensive repair from the last mission. The Paladins arrived on the planet, covered in a dense cloud. It was like the planet was trying to shield something from them, but what is up to them to find out. The Castle of Lions orbited the planet's atmosphere, not daring to enter the intense storms. As the Lions entered the cloud formation, visibility became impossible.

"I can't see shit through this fog!" Pidge screamed as a lightning bolt erupted nearby.

"PIDGE! LANGUAGE!" Everyone but Mathias yelled through the comms, hurting her ears. As soon as they pierced the clouds, they could see the ground below them. It was all devastated with weapon crater shells, but what really worried everyone were three, much larger craters, they didn't look like ordinary explosives, but as if someone just ate a very small portion of the planet. Mathias swore it looked familiar to him, or at least, the eaten craters, anyway. The team touched down on the planet's surface.

"Okay, looks like the signal is coming from a station up ahead. Might be better to go on foot, we don't want to attract attention if we haven't already," Allura said as she stood up.

"Don't take off your helmets, the atmosphere isn't full of oxygen like Earth, so be extra cautious," Pidge said as she and Mathias walked out of the Green Lion. Mathias, upon exiting the Lion, scanned the air with a sensor. A hud began to show information and his eyes widened. The two walked over to the others who had landed nearby. A large breeze began to push the group slightly. It would've been okay if it was warmer.

"This breeze is going to knock us over like dominoes!" Lance shouted, holding his arms up as a sort of shield. Everyone heard a small click and looked over to Mathias adjusting his helmet, but it also looks like he was loosening its hold on his suit.

"Mathias! What are you doing?!" Allura shouted in disbelief as he gripped his helmet. Everyone widened their eyes as they rushed forward at him, trying to stop whatever he was doing, but it was too late. A sickening sizzle erupted from his suit as he pulled off his helmet, his hair whipping behind him beautifully. Everyone froze, waiting for any sort of reaction to occur, but nothing happened.

Mathias looked over to them and looked at them with an eyebrow raised, "is something wrong?"

"How are you breathing in this environment!?!" Lance yelled at him.

"Simple. There is a compound in the air which my Zentraedi blood can neutralize. My Zentraedi ancestors have been fighting for nearly a million years, surely, they developed a lot of resistance to airborne toxins and harsher atmosphere conditions!" He smirked, before his helmet vanished in his hands. Everyone just looked at him like he was the most idiotic person alive. He sniffed the air, then looked down slightly, "the air tastes a bit salty, but it's okay."

"Riiiiiiiight," Hunk said as they pressed onward to the installation. The group walked for about 15 minutes before the installation came up. That's when a sound was heard. It was like a... whale of some kind?