Chapter 20: IGF Macross

The first of many battles come to Earth...

If you want to picture how the IGF Macross looks, think about/look up the Macross Elysion class, now replace the two cannon structures on its back with Fusion Cannons, and the main gun in its right arm doesn't exist, it's just an aircraft carrier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on Earth...

Long, slender, purple ships tear through the skies of the urban world, as any more harbor outside of its lustrous atmosphere. Devastating weapons never seen by the public eyes tore apart everything, as nothing was safe from the Galran attack. Not even the farm life or even rural areas. They were bombarded by attacks from space. Almost all of the life that existed on the surfaces of the planet ceased to exist. The lands were a solemn grey, buildings collapsed to dust, bodies littered the streets.

One of the very few symbols that remained of Earth was under attack from an onslaught of Galran weapons fire. That was the Galaxy Garrison, and the barely finished IGF Macross, but the Galra were oblivious to the ship when they first appeared.

A bright orange hexagonal dome surrounded the base, as laser fire pummeled the poor shield. The base and the personnel within shook endlessly. Sam gripped a chair in the command room as he made his way forward to Admiral Sanda, who kept her hands behind her back, watching silently at this unfolding. Iverson was next to her discussing something he didn't know.

"Prepare the base defenses! Prepare MFE Fighters, ready all missiles and activate the Destroid units!" Admiral Sanda shouted, Iverson was about to nod when Sam shouted in anger behind her.

"You can't use the standard defenses!" He protested angrily.

Both officials turned to face the distraught man, with Admiral Sanda replying, "we're about to send 100,000 pounds of thermo-kinetic missiles and our Destroid units at them, then finish them with the best pilots to ever come out of the Garrison and sweep the rest with the IGF Macross!"

"We need to use the MFEs!" Sam retaliated.

"They're piloted by cadets! We can't send them out to the field!" Sanda responded with anger in her voice.

So are the Paladins of Voltron! Besides, the IGF Macross and its weapons haven't been fully tested yet!" Sam yelled, his throat screaming in protest not to do that again.

"Commander, launch the base defences immediately!" Sanda yelled. She waited for a response, but when she didn't get one, she frantically faced Iverson, who seemed lost in space. "COMMANDER!" She screamed, finally acquiring his attention.

"I know you have war time authorization, but maybe we should listen to Commander Ho-"

"THIS ISN'T A DISCUSSION! Activate base defences and get the IGF Macross in the air!" Sanda shouted, silencing everyone in the room, even the officials below seemed to quiet when they heard that sentence.

Iverson nodded slowly, then activated a comm system, "attention, initiate base defence Beta 5! All fighters on the runway and activate the Destroids. Send word to the IGF Macross to prepare for departure!"

"You've just doomed all those men and women..." Sam muttered a curse under his breath at Sandra's ignorance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On board the bridge of the IGF Macross.

The ship shook when the strikes from the Galra hit the shields around it. The officer gripped the captain's chair as he sat in silence. The crew around him were speaking in their headsets as they directed the crew. The man placed his hands together, intertwining his fingers as he breathed into his hand. He had short, straight orange hair, silver eyes and looked like he was in his 40's.