Chapter 21: Lion's Pride

Another full (somewhat) length chapter

Warning, story elements are going to change and there may be some swearing!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purple laserfire filled space entirely as Voltron dodged left and right from laser fire from the ground and the skies. Cruisers kept showing up around Earth, as if they could somehow replicate themselves. The ground fire from the stations, while under attack from the MFE's were still annoying to the Paladins.

Pidge was nearly thrown back from her seat from a blast from one of the cannons on the surface hitting Voltron. She groaned and sat straight back up in her seat.

"We can't take much more from those cannons!" Keith shouted as they barrel rolled around another ground laser.

"There's just too many of them! How many ships are there?!" Hunk cried as he looked all around him.

Pidge pulled up a screen and ran through the numbers, before her eyes widened, "adding the ships on the other side of the planet that are closing in, there are roughly 4,000 Galra cruisers closing, with more on the way!" Hunk and Lance groaned, while Keith grunted.

"SHIELD! QUICK!" Keith shouted. Pidge looked up to see a massive purple laser hurtling towards them. Quickly pressing forward on her controls, she moved her Lion to block the attack. The short relief that was awarded from deflecting that one attack was outmatched by the numerous lasers from the Galran ships around them. Every time they tried to block incoming fire from the ground cannons, they were pummeled by the Galran ships, and every time they deflected the Galran lasers, the ground cannons would steam roll them. On top of that, the Zaiforge cannons were getting into position to fire on Earth, only adding to the ever increasing pressure over the Paladins' heads.

"Paladins! The cannons are nearing their final positions!" Shiro cried through the comms.

"We're- GAH! TRYING!" Keith shouted as another blast hit the head of Voltron. Pidge quickly pulled up the shield to block another blast from one of the last ground cannon shots, then looked at the corner of her eye, only to freeze in terror. 4 Galran cruisers had their Ion cannons locked directly on to her. If she tried to block, the blast the cannon would continue through her and hit the others. If she did nothing, those Ion cannons may not harm Voltron, but they can still hurt her.

Theme: Sayonara no Tsubasa from Macross Frontier plays

The cannons were about to fire on her. She closed her eyes, embracing the pain that is about to follow. An unfamiliar explosion and sound whooshed into her ears, as she looked back, she was confused to see a massive orange blast from top left of the ships had blown them apart. The closest ship's front only remained, but later exploded with the rest of the destroyed ship. She followed the beam of destructive energy, as it destroyed several more ships below them before collapsing on itself.

"What the hell was that?!" Lance shouted in panic.

"There!" Allura pointed, though no one could see it. Everyone looked up, including Voltron, to see that far in the distance a massive pink and purple swirling, flowering vortex appeared.

"Hey... I remember that kind of vortex!" Hunk's spirits began to rise.

"Paladins! What's going on up there!" Shiro called through the comms.