Dance Captaincies and Denials

Richelle's POV: 

"Hey, Richelle." I was taken aback by Michelle's cheerful voice. 

"Hi," I responded. "You said you wanted to see me?" 

"Yeah. I actually wanted to talk about your audition group." Great. What did she have to say? That our group did terribly or I wasn't being a good leader. 

"Your group was actually really good." I looked up in surprise. 

"Really?" 

Michelle creased her brow. "Yeah, actually. But what I wanted to say was I think you should be, like, a dance captain figure." 

"Me? Dance captain?" The words Richelle and dance captain never seemed to go well together. At this point, I've given up. If it wasn't for my desperate hunger for the dance captaincy, Summer would have stayed on A-troupe, I would have stayed on A-troupe and we would probably have already signed a contract instead of having to start from the bottom. 

"Yeah, thanks, but no thanks." 

"Richelle, what do you mean?" Michelle argued. She seemed to be getting a little more desperate. "You don't actually have to be called dance captain, but you'll be my go-to for choreo and advice like an actual dance captain. Isn't that what you've always wanted?" 

"I've had a change of plans. I just want to be on the team." 

"But-"

"Give it to Summer," I interrupted. "Or Amy, Piper. Just not me." I quickly walked out of the studio. 

The me from a few weeks ago would kicked myself for what I just did. So why did I do it?