Not His Girl

Summer's POV: 

"Hey, Summer, do you want to work together?" I turned around to find the question was coming from Amy. 

"Yeah, of course," I said. It had been so long since I had properly interacted with Amy, so it would be nice to partner up with her. But I peered over her shoulder to find Henry was standing behind her. She turned around. 

"Oh, Amy are you working with Summer?" Her face sunk at the realisation that Henry wanted to work with her as well. 

I stepped in. "Don't worry about it. I could work with-" 

"No," Henry cut in. "You two can work together." Amy smiled obliviously. 

"We can all work together. I'm sure Emily and Michelle won't mind us working in a trio." Henry glanced at me awkwardly. 

"Right. Cause I'm sure Kingston and Ozzy are already paired up." Which left Richelle by herself. I thought. I could have used that as an excuse but didn't want to make the tension between me and Henry more awkward than it needed to be. And I don't think anyone would buy my excuse of willingly working with Richelle. Especially when all she wanted these days was to be alone.

I leant into a lunge and began to think of my choreo ideas. Despite the thirty seconds of awkwardness, I couldn't believe I would be getting a solo on a national tour. It was insane. Henry was still looking through his dance bag. Probably for his headphones that he always lost somewhere deep inside of his bag.

"What are you thinking of doing for your solo?" Amy asked as she joined me in the lunge.

"Oh, you know the solo I did at the Absolute Dance Wild Stylze convention?" 

"Yeah, that was really good, you totally should have won." 

"Thanks, your one was good as well." She rolled her eyes as though she didn't believe what I was saying. "I was thinking of reusing that, but adding some new things, of course." 

"Yeah, that's a good idea," she agreed, switching the leg she was stretching. 

"Hey." Henry walked towards us, headphones in hand as I had predicted.  "What are you guys talking about?"

"Just discussing possible choreo ideas," Amy said. 

"Cool, what are you thinking about?" It took me a while to realise he was asking me. I quickly filled in the silence. 

"Oh, I was probably just going to reuse the solo I did at the Absolute Dance Wild Stylz dance convention." I paused, waiting for some sort of approval instead of expanding on my idea as I had done with Amy. 

"Sounds good. I still think you should have won, but Lily's our friend now, so I'll keep that to myself," he joked. 

Amy started talking about her ideas. "I was thinking of starting afresh, that solo wasn't my proudest moment." Henry smiled nervously as though he forgot Amy was in that competition when he complimented me. 

Attempting to defuse the tension, I asked, "What song?" 

"Thinking  out loud by Ed Sheeran." 

"I love that song!" Henry said. 

"Yeah."  Amy stood up to stretch her arms, matching Henry's height. I was still on the floor, stuck stretching my hips. "It's my mum's favourite. She was so excited when she heard about the tour." 

"Same," Henry agreed. "Mine was ready to start a riot when she found out we wouldn't be getting our Dancemania prize." 

I wasn't very good at this talking thing and I wasn't making any progress with my stretches either. I pushed myself off the floor.

"How about we all freestyle to the songs we're thinking of dancing to do?" I suggested.

"Sure," they said in unison. 

"Henry, what song did you want to dance to?" My mind started flooding with all of his favourite hip-hop tracks. 

"I haven't run this by Emily yet, but I was actually thinking of doing my own song?" 

"Wait, are you using Right Back 2 You?" Amy squealed. I had never heard of that song. I had never heard of any of Henry's songs. Although I knew he made music, he had never played any of his for me.

"Maybe you could send it to me if she does," I suggested. He nodded and smiled silently. 

I unlocked my phone and opened up my music app. My finger slipped, pressing the last song I had listened to. Both Henry and Amy lit up with excitement. 

I looked up and smiled at them. "You guys like this song?" I was briefly ignored by the fact that they had already started doing choreo to it. 

"Yeah, sorry," Amy said. "A while back we made choreo to it." She began to laugh. I was about to ask when. They seemed to remember the dance pretty well.

"Remember when you locked your keys in your car and-" Amy's story was interrupted by the change in Henry's face. 

"You didn't!" She sighed. 

"I think I did." He started to pat his pockets, but his mood didn't turn around. 

"Sorry, Summer. I need to go fix something real quick." 

"I'll come," Amy said. Before I could even respond, they both had their dance bags in hand and were out of the studio. 

Deep down, I was relieved to see them go. It wasn't jealousy, I told myself. Just the weirdness of seeing Henry with someone else, but I would get over it. 

Right?