Falling Behind

Kenzie's POV: 

"It looks like he's our new member of A-troupe," I said, interrupting Heath and Ozzy's conversation to acknowledge the person who walked into Studio A. 

"You've got to be kidding me." Ozzy rolled his head back in frustration. 

"Good morning to you too, Ozzy." Jones held out his hand, but Ozzy didn't return the gesture. 

"Hey, Jones," Heath and I said. 

 Emily and Michelle walked into the studio together. We all gathered towards the middle of the room. "Good morning, A-troupe."

"As I'm sure you've seen," Michelle started. "We have a new member of A-troupe."

Emily took over. "Everyone welcome Jones." We all gave a little round of applause for him. As much as some of us may not like it, he was our best candidate." 

"Thank you," he said modestly. 

Michelle pulled back everyone's attention. "Before we get to work, we need to talk about the number of dances we will have." 

"Yes, most live shows can't go over two hours, so we want to make sure we achieve something around that." 

The prospect of performing for two hours sounding scary, but I couldn't wait for the challenge. 

"We plan on having four group dances: one to open; a fun and simple one just before intermission; our closing dance and one last energetic dance to end the show," Michelle read from her pink clipboard. 

She continued, "Then we will have a boys' small group and girls' small group." Everyone started getting excited over getting to choreograph a dance in our groups. It was releasing the memories of when we were choreographing small groups with Sloane and LaTroy. 

"We will then have two duets, three male soloists and three female soloists." 

"Who are those going to go to?" Amy asked. Everyone sat up a bit straighter. 

Emily stepped forward. "We don't want to waste any time with auditions." 

"Yeah," Michelle agreed. "With the slots that are available, we have three months until we leave." 

Three months? That felt years away compared to going to Nationals in one month or getting our proper prize from Dancemania almost immediately. 

"So, Michelle and I have already decided who will be getting what dance." Emily flipped open her notebook and began to read her list out loud. I gave a silent prayer that I would be getting a solo or even a duet. 

"Lily and Kingston, seeing as you would have done the Nationals duet, it seems fitting that you would get a duet on the tour." Everyone started to clap for them, but Emily cut us off. 

"Save the applause for later. Next, Finn and Piper. We think you would make good duet partners as you worked well together in the first round of Dancemania." Finn wrapped Piper around his arm. They seemed happy to be working together, obviously. 

"As for the solos, we are thinking Richelle, Amy and Summer for the girls and Henry, Kingston and Ozzy for the  guys." I was disappointed to not hear my name. 

"Does that sound good?" Michelle asked in her people-pleasing way. We all nodded, some happier than others.

"What should we start working on first?" Lily asked. 

"Yes, good question. If you don't have a solo, work with someone else to start forming ideas for one of the group dances. If you do have a solo, pair up with another soloist, so you can assist each other in choreography." 

Everyone already started to pair up with each other. I couldn't believe I didn't get a solo. All my hard work on A-troupe and this was what I got in returned. I took in a deep breath to calm down. I would just have to work harder. And I could start by working on the group dances.

I turned to Heath. "You want to work together?" 

He nodded. "Sure." 

Michelle clapped her hands. "Great! Dancers get to work." We all got up and dispersed to different parts of the studio.