Not So Neutral Grounds

Jude's POV:

"Why's an unknown number calling you?" I asked Cleo. We were in the new cafe that sat below TNS. Latte Love. I found the pun absolutely hilarious, but Cleo not so much. 

"I don't know," she said taking another bite of her croissant. 

"Are you going to answer?"

"No. I don't know who it is." 

"Well, that's the fun in it." I picked up the phone and read out the number. 

"Why is my mum calling you?" 

"What?" She took the phone out of my hands. "You probably misread it." Oh yeah. That makes sense. 

She answered the phone. "Hello, who is this?" 

I leaned into Cleo, trying to hear who the caller was. She pushed me away. 

"Put it on speaker." I mouthed to her. She nodded and held the phone to her chin. 

"Hi, Cleo. It's Summer." I nearly gasped. It's a shame Latte Love no longer sells popcorn because this was going to be interesting.  

"Summer." She elongated her name as she said it. "Why are you calling me?" Her voice sounded a lot more relaxed than I expected. 

"I just got an email from Absolute Dance." I gave Cleo a nudge as though to tell her that she should congratulations or something. She looked at me blankly. 

I sighed. "Congratulations, Summer. You made a great... Alice." 

"Aw, thank you," she said on the other side of the line. 

"No problem." I looked at Cleo. She had a horrible habit of holding grudges. 

"Anyway, Summer, what were you saying?" 

"Yes, I got an email from Absoloute Dance."

"Okay." 

"And they want me to carry on as the face of absolute dance." There was an awkward silence. 

"Okay, um, well done. How does that involve me?" I took a sip of my latte. It was cold. 

"Well, for me to be the Face of Absolute Dance, I need to be competing at nationals." 

"Well, I hope you find a team that lets you on-"

"Cleo!" I grabbed the phone out of her hand. 

"Hi, Summer." 

"Hi, Jude. " I paused for a moment. 

"We don't really know what to say right now, but B-troupe would sure like to see you." Cleo gave me a disapproving look. 

"And, um, yeah." 

"Yeah."

"Are you coming back tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, I am actually." 

"Okay, see you then." I hung up the phone. 

"See, it wasn't that hard to be nice

"See, it wasn't that hard to be nice." 

"But it also wouldn't be that hard to not abandon your team." 

"You said she could audition for Dancemania." 

"As a soloist! Not with a different team. That's betrayal." 

I sighed defeated. "Well, you didn't have to be so rude about it."

"Fine, I'm sorry." 

"Don't tell that to me. Tell that to Summer."

"When?" 

"Tomorrow." I got up from my seat. "Time for rehearsal, you coming?" She got up along with me, chucking her napkin into the bin. 

"I have a question." 

"Yes?" 

"Who will be the face of absolute dance for this region if not Summer?" I shrugged my shoulders. Hopesully, we wouldn't need to find out.