Break Even - Chapter 15

Waking up in new surroundings after a long flight, Nicky knew this was the first day of her new life. Just the three of them. Although familiar to her, this place was new to the twins. Nicky didn't want to want to waste a day, she wanted to show Daisy and Ryan where she was the most happiest, where she completed her biggest achievement and where she fell in love; New York. She put them into their buggy and made the half mile journey to her place; Central Park. She began talking to them, pointing out certain places that she had been, people walking along probably thought she was crazy, talking to herself, but she felt it was important to talk to them. She got to the black iron gate. She turned around so that her back opened the heavy gate. She carefully bumped the buggy down the concrete steps, still walking backwards. She still saw the regular runners, and couples walking hand in hand. Although she was 50 or so yards away from her bench, her eyes were drawn to it, it wasn't empty or vacant, she wanted to show the twins everywhere she went so she began taking small steps whilst pushing the buggy towards her bench.

"I knew you'd be here at some point" a smiling familiar face looked up as she approached. Nicky was surprised, startled and happy, a mixture of emotions "Olly, what are you doing here? blimey shouldn't you be on your honeymoon" she said hugging him as tears welled up. She sat down next to him and got the twins out of their buggy, they felt the grass in between in their toes and toddled about. "I couldn't go through with it Nic, there's someone else on my mind and I've gotta fight for that" he explained taking her hand. "Olly, you've gotta know something I've erm..." " I know, he told me you've split" Olly interrupted. "Really? He's known from the start, and he told me you told him to choose him". " That's true, look Nic...". She got up and sat on the grass with the playful twins " Are you gonna join us?" Nicky smiled. Olly smiled and joined them, "babe are they...". She nodded. She got their passports out of her changing bag and gave him them to open "yeah, they are yours.... Sorry I've lied....". "Shhhhh" he raised his index finger towards her lips. "None of that matters, I know you've included me in everything, just the sleepless nights I've missed" he tried to put her at ease. "Now kids, lets get you in your buggy and me and your mum can show you where our running route is" Olly took charge, putting his children in their buggy acting the proud father that he was. He pushed the buggy as Nicky walked by the side of him, he was in his element and smiling from ear to ear.

They got to the drinks shack where they used to stop at. The twins were out for the count, fresh air certainly knocked them out. Nicky went to the shack to get some waters whilst Olly watched his pride and joy sleep. "Beautiful aren't they, I can't stop looking at them" he grinned. "Olly, you know we'll work something out so you can see them" she was a little unconfident. "Nicky, I haven't travelled this far just for them you know, it's you.... It's always been you, the second day here we met I just knew you were the one, yeah we both think about others before ourselves, but surely shouldn't we think ourselves now?". "You know ok, you want me to be honest now?". He nodded. She started to well up " To think how far we have come, what we've been through together our ups and downs, my feelings towards you have never changed" she said. "I'm glad you've said that Nic, cause I was wondering what you are doing for the rest of your life?". " What?" She was puzzled. " Let's be together, be the family that we've both always wanted" Olly asked. Tears streaming down her face, all her weights had been lifted off her shoulders. " Yeah lets" she simply replied. " And Nic, I wanted to tell you I love you too". She clasped his neck and gave him a sensual kiss and held his hand and looked into his eyes " I love you too babe". They made their way back to the bench and to their future.

2 Years Later

Olly's career has turned up a notch, he was a worldwide recording artist, touring around the globe with his family in tow. The twins were four, double trouble and had their own characters. Nicky was running again, really happy with her life. The drama of two years prior had been wiped away. Ben did pursue the girl he liked, he got married to the girl Leanne, a midwife and they have a one year old child. Olly and Nicky do not see them very often, not what you would class as friends but more acquaintances, they were happy.

Tonight, was a big night for Olly. He was back to New York with Nicky for a break away, their special place which they visited often to where they wanted to relax. "Come on Nic, lets take this" he said pointing to a horse and carriage. It was a cold day, so she got in and covered themselves up with the blanket that was supplied. They snuggled up together "Ols, why haven't we done this before, it's so nice". He didn't answer, just shrugged his shoulders. "Everything ok Olly?"."Yeah fine" he said whilst fidgeting in his pocket. Just then the carriage stopped at the recognisable black gate "ahh I know this place, she said looking out, I've missed you" she said smiling. She looked back at Olly who was on one knee holding a diamond ring towards her. Her eyes were surprised. "Nicky, Please make me the happiest man in the world and make our family complete, marry me". " Of course babe?" She said kissing his cold lips. "How about tonight?", here, under the stars, at our bench?". She looked over towards the area which had been lit up by about what seemed to be a million candles. The iron gate had opened and Olly helped Nicky out of the carriage. They walked hand in hand to the bench and sat down. " I understand you might not want to do it tonight" he said whilst sweeping her hair round her ear. " Olly, I do wanna marry you, it's just the kids, I want them to be there". " I thought you might say that..." He said as a crowd of their nearest and dearest walked up. "You organised all this? For me?" Nicky said. " Not just for you Nic, for us for our family, so do you wanna?". "Yeah, I think I wanna marry you tonight". They married under the stars, nothing flashy, just there with there nearest and dearest at their special place.