Break Even - Chapter 12

Flicking through the baby album for what felt like 100 times since she received it, Nicky shed tears. Vicky knew her secret that had been eating away at her since she had fallen pregnant with the twins. She knew it was a matter of time until Olly found out, until she stopped and thought, unless he does know and that's why he had been ringing me so much. Maybe it was time to confront the issue, she knew that she was dropping Ryan off later in the day to sleep over so he could get ready with the rest of the grooms party, hardly perfect timing though as it was Olly's wedding. She thought maybe saying something would ruin it, and she didn't want to ruin what would be his perfect day.

Nicky hid the baby album behind the cushions of the sofa quickly as Ben walked into the room. "Have you been crying?" Ben queried. " No, to be honest I'm shattered honey, hopefully I'll get a better nights sleep tonight now all this wedding planning is over" she smiled. " Yeah, maybe we can start where we left off tonight since we only have Daisy to look after tonight" Ben winked. " Yeah maybe, erm... Ben just wondering if you could drop Ry off to Olly's tonight?". She knew she couldn't face it seeing Olly's face, she knew she would try and kiss him again. " I can't babe...I've gotta go and get a suit for tomorrow, you'll be ok to do it won't you" he smiled. " I guess I'll have to, no worries". Now she had no option to see him.

She packed up Ryan's clothing, toys and nappies ready for the short trip to Olly's house. She wrapped up both babies warmly since it was so cold outside, put them in their carseats and made her way. The babies were starting to talk, mumbling and babbling their baby talk, this lightened up Nicky's mood, she couldn't believe how quickly they were growing up. Her nerves were still there though and she felt the butterflies in her stomach as she pulled up to the house. Walking up the lit driveway seemed like it took forever, her nerves continued as she placed both carseats on the ground whilst she rung the doorbell. She picked up both carseats and waited for an answer.

"Hey come in, here let me take him" Olly appeared opening up the door behind him with a huge grin." Oh cheers, I've just gotta get some more stuff from the car, won't be a sec" Nicky rushed to the car to prevent any more cold air getting into the house. Olly removed the hyper babies from their carseat removing their coats aswell. Nicky walked in relaying Ryan's bedtime routine to him. "You are gonna stay for a bit though ain't you?" He asked. " Erm... Well I guess I can stay for a bit but Daisy needs to go to bed soon too" she tried to avoid eye contact with him. "Cuppa then." "Sure, why not, where's everyone else, they not staying too?". "Nah just me and the little man" he smiled patting Ryan's head. " Ahh that's nice, so you nervous for tomorrow?". "A little bit, I just wanna thank you for organising it, hopefully it'll be a good day" he smiled on the outside. She thought to herself that she couldn't bear to break his smiling face by revealing the truth instead he was to be having the happiest day of his life, or so she thought. " It's ok, I've quite enjoyed it, everything is done now, so relax" She laughed. "Yeah well except my speech" he said pointing to the bit of blank paper. By now Nicky had felt comfortable in Olly's presence " Want me to help?" She asked unselfishly. " Would you mind?" He said. They left the babies playing on the lounge floor whilst they sat on the sofa trying to write his heartfelt speech. " I won't tell you what to write but just write down how you feel, express your love ok?". He nodded. " Look Olly, I've gotta go put Daisy to bed now, she looks so tired bless her, good luck for tomorrow" she said kissing his cheek. She turned round and placed Daisy in her thick coat, Olly stood there holding his kissed cheek with his eyes closed.

"Nic, wait, if I don't say what I wanna say then I'm gonna regret it for the rest of my life". She sat down on the sofa placing Daisy on her lap. "Ok what do you wanna say Olly?" She looked intrigued. "Before I commit the rest of my life to someone else, I need to tell you something" He stuttered. "Olly spit it out, your really scaring me" Nicky was concerned. He held her hands which were slightly clammy and locked eyes with her. " Nicky I love you and when we kissed the other day I knew you felt it too". She sat there unable to speak but knew she had to say something " oh Olly all you have is the jitters". He reacted angrily " it's not the fucking jitters ok, I love you, I have always loved you and I need to know they are my kids ain't they?". Nicky stood up and started scooping Daisy up in the carseat and picked her up. "Olly I can't speak to you when your like this, all angry and aggressive, I can't have the kids being round this it's not healthy" she said walking out of the door. He toned his voice down " I'm sorry look I'll cancel it all now the whole day if you say you'll be with me, but I do need to know are they mine?" He grabbed the picture from the back of his jeans pocket. " Look at me and look at Ryan so alike". Nicky took a glance and rushed out of the house " Look after Ryan, I'll see you tomorrow I need time to think" she said with tears streaming down her face.

She drove off aggressively crying all the way home, this is what she always wanted, him, her and the kids. She questioned why she just run off. There was no time to keep shedding her tears, she was home. She had to dry her eyes, put her guard back up and walk back into the house, expecting Ben to seduce her as soon as she got into the door and to go back to the life that she got on with. She turned her key in the door and put a sleeping Daisy straight to bed. She made her way downstairs to join Ben on the sofa, he looked at her and sighed "have you been crying?".

"Mum, she ran off, she didn't say anything, she just ran". Olly's eyes welled up with tears, he phoned his mum looking for advice. " She said she had to think about things, she didn't deny anything ". His mum told him that she cares but maybe it was time to cut his losses and make someone else happy. He knew his mum was right to get on with the day, make someone happy, probably have a family and would be perfectly settled and have the mediocre life. "Mum, look I gotta go Ryan is crying I've gotta get him settled, I'll see you tomorrow". The conversation ended with his mum saying to kiss her grandson and that tomorrow would be the best day of his life. Olly cradled Ryan," your mummy typical Tauren stubborn as anything, I guess we're a perfect match, but whatever happens I am always gonna be in yours and your sister's lives, I love you son".