Break Even - Chapter 4

"Is that how it's gonna be? She calls you and you come running?" Leanne asked angrily. The words couldn't come out, Olly was stuck for words. " Is this what it's gonna be like when we get married, when we have our own family, well I'm sorry Olly it's got to stop". He looked at her in amazement, was this really another ultimatum that was being given to him? He shrugged his shoulders " Look Leanne, Kelly gave that same ultimatum to me, I let Nicky go because I thought that was the right decision. As a matter of fact it was the worse decision I made in my life and I'm sorry she's my best friend I can't let her go now, she and the twins need me, so if your not happy with that then...". " She's your best friend right?, I don't want this to break us up, maybe we need to spend a little time together so I can get to know her better" she backtracked. "That Leanne is the best idea you've had all day, my two favourite girls together" he smiled whilst placing his arm around her. He thought if he could get Nicky alone at some point, he could tell her how he really felt. He got out his phone from his pocket, and still no notification of a call or a message. He decided to call her landline number.

"Hi.... Oh hello Olly" Ben said picking up the phone half naked whilst laying in the bed. Nicky lay next to him on her side asleep. "How are you doing? Yes, haven't seen you in a while" he continued. " Oh congratulations, no Nicky didn't tell me". Nicky opened her eyes, knowing full well who was on the other line of the phone. "Shit" she thought " now I'm going to have to explain to Ben of why he came around". " Sure would be lovely to come round yours for dinner tonight, I don't think we have much planned, is it ok to bring the twins as its a bit too late notice to get a babysitter". Nicky pretended to still be asleep, but she knew she had to face the music with both Ben and Olly. " Ok mate I'll see you tonight". With the Ben hung up the phone. Ben kissed Nicky on the cheek " honey, I think it's time to get up now, the twins are awake". " Just five more minutes babe, can you see to them" she replied trying to work out her story. " Ok hon, I'll sort the twins, oh and by the way we are going for dinner at Olly's tonight". " Oh are we?" she sat up faking the surprise.

" So it's all sorted Lea, Nicky and Ben are coming round tonight for dinner, what do you want to cook?" he asked grabbing her waist from behind. " Me cook?, you know that's going to stress me out, I have no idea Olly, can't we just get a takeaway?" she answered. " Well do you want to set a good first impression? Don't stress out I'm sure whatever you make it'll be fine, anyway it's not as if the queen is coming to tea". " Might as well be" she said under her breath whilst flicking through some cookery books. " Right, I'll be back in a bit, I'm popping to the supermarket, you need anything?" she said. " Yep, Nicky likes a Shiraz by Jacobs Creek, can you pick up a bottle of that?". She raised her eyebrows at Olly. " What?" he asked innocently. "Oh nothing" she didn't want to get into another argument and she was too busy to get the perfect dinner sorted at short notice.

" So Nic, Olly mentioned that he popped round earlier" Ben said as he was attaching Nicky's necklace whilst looking at her in the full length mirror. " Oh yes, he popped round to see us, and he dropped some gifts for the twins" she quickly relayed. " Oh that's nice of him" Ben tried to press further "and?". " Oh yeah, he got engaged in Venice" she smiled. She turned around and saw Ben screw up his face, "Yeah, he told me on the phone, don't know why you couldn't tell me though". "Must have slipped my mind when I was ripping your clothes off when you came in" she winked. Bingo, that's the reason why she was being nice to him, he didn't want to cause another drama so he kept it to himself. " You ready then?", " yep how do I look" she said twirling in her purple satin dress. "Beautiful babe" he replied.

Leanne had been in the kitchen all afternoon trying to conjure up something that was edible for " the queen" and Ben to eat. She stood at the hob with pots and pans at the ready. Olly stood next to her feeling her nerves " dont worry babe, I'm sure it'll be fine" he kissed her cheek. The doorbell rang indicating that their guests had arrived. " Right, you ready?" he said with a glass of wine in his hand. She nodded as he went to the front door. Ben was at the front clutching Ryan who was sound asleep, Nicky held back, with her eyes on the ground, she was holding Daisy, she looked like an angel sleeping. " Hey guys, lovely to see you". " Nice to see you mate" Ben said passing a bottle of champagne " to celebrate to the happy couple". " Ahh thanks mate, Lea, come out here look what they bought for us" Olly shouted. Leanne ran in, Nicky's eyes looked at her awkwardly, she couldn't remember her being so beautiful. " Awww that's so nice" Leanne said. "Come in guys, sorry" Olly said. Nicky followed behind Ben, and awkwardly gave Olly a kiss on the cheek, she was surprisingly quiet. " Erm, is there anywhere we can put the kids down" Nicky asked. " Oh sure, sorry I've set up the travel cot if that's ok". Olly took the carseat out of Nicky's hand touching it slightly and they locked eyes and each of them felt a hit of electricity. "Here Ben, follow me and we'll let the girls get aquatinted, and Nicky can I take your coat?". Nicky took off her coat revealing her purple satin dress that skimmed all the right areas, Olly's eyes lit up whilst he was walking up the stairs, he had to glance one last time to see her from behind walking away to the kitchen.

Leanne handed Nicky a glass of her favourite wine " wow that's lovely, I needed that?" she sipped. She walked into the kitchen with her and could sense Leanne's stress " anything I can help with?". " No, it all should be edible" she laughed taking a gulp of her drink. " I'm sure whatever you have made will be lovely" she tried to comfort her. " Thanks, I really do hope so". " So how's midwifing going?" Nicky tried to change the subject. " Yes good thanks, have been off all week, cause we've been away" she chatted. " Oh yes, stupid me, I should have said congratulations, oooo let me see the ring". She inspected the ring with jealousy and in awe, a simple, single sparkling diamond, just her taste " that's beautiful". " Right I think it's all done now, I'll get the guys down and we'll attempt to eat it". " Ok, no worries I'll make my way to the table".

Olly made his way to the table and sat opposite Nicky " Wheres Ben?" she asked. " Just popped to the lav" he responded. He took the wine and poured himself a glass and raised his eyebrows asking if she wanted a top up. She shook her head " someone has to be sober for the twins" she said. " We need to talk" he whispered, " not now, not the right time, nor place". Ben walked in and took his place next to Nicky. She took hold of his hand trying to put on the perfect couple routine. Leanne come in with four plates filled with the hard work she produced all afternoon. " Looks beautiful Leanne, thank you" Nicky said politely. They all ate their meal and made small conversation with eachother mainly about the wedding details. Nicky didn't really feel as though she wanted to join in the conversation " well that meal was lovely, thank you so much". " Well I guess it was ok, I've had better" Olly said. Leanne was upset at that and Nicky saw that, she felt sorry for her. " If you can excuse me, I'm just going to go and check on the twins". Leanne nodded.

Nicky went upstairs, and cooed over angels sleeping. She heard the bedroom door go, she turned around and Olly was standing there. " Beautiful ain't they" he whispered. " Yep they are take after their mum" she laughed looking at her pride and joy. " They certainly do" he said looking at her up and down. " Olly, go back downstairs, Ben will get pissed off and you should be spending more time with your fiancé". " Ok, but we need to talk" he said. " Oh and Olly, be nice to Leanne don't show her up on my behalf, she seems like a nice girl and she's gone to so much effort, giver her a break". He knew she was right and he agreed. Nicky made her way out of the room and down the stairs catching Ben and Leanne in mid conversation.

" Hey Nicky, we've just been speaking and I'd love for Daisy to be a flower girl and Ryan to be a page boy" Leanne said smiling. Ben sat their happily and Olly walked in the room. " Oh that would be lovely, thank you Leanne" Nicky fake smiled. What Nicky really thought was pain, she had to spend more time with the man she loved but couldn't have. Olly smiled, he would get to spend time with the woman that he was head over heels for. " That Leanne is about the best idea you've had" he smiled.