Chapter 16: "Because I love her."

Y/N POV:

After class, I waited for Jungkook by the fountain with two cups of coffee. I figured since I was making him hang around, the least I could do was buy his coffee. I was sipping my vanilla latte, my attention focused on the fountain when I heard him approach.

"Caramel Frappuccino right?" I asked, handing him the steaming cup.

Jungkook nodded, his eyes widening in surprise. "You have a good memory," he said, taking the cup, sitting next to me on the concrete bench and opened the lid. He took a sip, turning his gaze towards the fountain. "How were you last classes?"

I shrugged. "They were okay," I replied. "How about you?"

Jungkook nodded. "They were fine. I had a big exam in one so I didn't have to listen to the professor drone on and on so that helped," he said with a dry laugh.

I giggled at his words and he turned, giving me a smile. "That's good to know," I replied.

"Okay Y/N," Jungkook said. "I know you didn't want to see me to talk about class. What's really on your mind?

I raised an eyebrow at his blunt question. The question kind of stung since I thought we were friends. "Um... wow," I said, the hurt obvious in my voice.

Jungkook sighed. "That's not what I meant," he said hurriedly. "You clearly have something on your mind that you want to ask me about. What is it?" he asked, his tone gentler.

"This is going to sound stupid, but I didn't know who else to talk to about it," I said, the reluctance in my voice clear.

Jungkook gave me a side smile. "You didn't kill anyone did you? Not asking me to help you hide a body are you?" he asked.

I laughed out loud at his ridiculous question. "No. Of course not," I said. His joking demeanor put me a little more at ease. "So remember the project I'm working on? The incubus?"

Jungkook nodded his head in confirmation and motioned for me to continue. "I do," he said. "One of the many mythical beings you don't believe in."

"Well," I began, "one of the things I've been reading says he never visits the same woman twice."

Jungkook nodded. "That is technically true," he replied.

"What do you mean technically?" I asked, his words confusing me.

Jungkook hesitated, turning his gaze back to the fountain, his eyes softening when they landed on the mermaid. "There is a story told about a scroll," he began. "The scroll is said to contain information about each of the mythical beings. Information that has never been known before."

"What kind of information?" I asked. Although I didn't believe in idea of these mythical beings, the story he was telling was interesting to say the least. It tugged on a hidden part of me. A part that I had pushed down the older I got. The part that believed in those mythical beings.

"I don't know if it's really my business to say," Jungkook said, the reluctance in his voice obvious.

I waved a hand at him. "What does this have to do with the incubus?" I questioned, determined to get answers.

Jungkook sighed. "The scroll mentions certain mythical beings: the siren, the vampire, the werewolf, the demon, the dragon, the witch, and the incubus," he explained, spinning a silver bracelet around his wrist, one I hadn't noticed before.

I pointed at his bracelet, trying to change the subject for a moment so he would be more willing to talk. "What's that bracelet you wear?" I asked.