Chapter 2: "It's not time yet."

Y/N:

I was stepping out of the shower when the phone range. I answered, seeing Jackson's name on the screen. "Hi Jackson," I said.

"Hey Y/N. I've got bad news. I got a call from the company asking me to come in and check out the alarm system. Apparently, there was a breach in security a little while ago," Jackson explained.

"Aww that's too bad," I said. "Is it bad?"

Jackson sighed on the other end of the line. "It definitely doesn't sound good," he said. "Can I get a rain check on dinner?"

I was disappointed, but I definitely understood. "Sure. Anytime. You know that," I said.

"Thanks sweetheart," Jackson said. "I'll text you tonight."

I ended the call with Jackson then dropped my phone on my bed. I picked up the yellow and black sundress I had picked out for tonight's dinner and hung it back in the closet. I switched it out for a black t-shirt and pink silk sleep shorts. Well there goes my plan for the evening I thought to myself. Looks like it would be pizza and more reading for the night. I picked up my phone and left my bedroom.

After ordering pizza, I set my phone on the table next to the stack of books from the library and picked up the one on the top with the gold details. I sat on the sofa and flipped the book open to a random page. This particular chapter seemed to focus on vampires. As interesting as they were, it was not the information I was searching for. I flipped through looking for the information on the incubus. Upon finding it, I reread the testimonials from the women. Although I had originally scoffed at their stories, I did start to feel pity for them. They felt the need to make up such elaborate stories to cover up their need to fulfill their desires.

I thought back to my own experiences. I hadn't had many sexual partners, but there had been a few over the last several years. My first experience was with my high school boyfriend right after the Senior Prom. Cliché I know, but we had been together for close to 18 months. I didn't regret that decision at all. Shortly after summer break ended, we broke up since I was leaving the country to attend college. We both knew the long distance relationship wouldn't work. That many time zones away were just too far.

My next few experiences were shortly after arriving at college. I had a couple boyfriends but nothing that lasted very long. I also had a one-night stand after a drunken party. That incident resulted in me meeting Jackson since the guy was his roommate. Kai and I remained on good terms, but I never climbed in his bed again. After meeting Jackson, I strayed away from guys for the most part. I had a couple dates, but nothing ever panned out.

I was lost in thought when there was a soft knock on the door. I opened it to a young guy delivering my pizza. After paying, I thanked him and closed the door, setting the pizza on the coffee table. I went into the kitchen, grabbing a plate and a can of soda. I settled down on the sofa with my pizza, switching the television on and turning on an episode of a show I had been watching. I didn't want to risk dropping sauce on one of the library books, considering what a messy eater I can sometimes be.

After I ate my fill and probably one slice too many, I switched the television to a music channel and opened up the old book again. I flipped back to the information on the incubus, reading over the descriptions. The information was really interesting, although I still believed it to be false.

I set the book down and opened up one of the other books. The second book was as thick as an encyclopedia and had a royal blue cover. I looked at the title History of Mythical Creatures and rolled my eyes. How could there be a history of fake beings? I scanned through that book, flipping back to the page I found in the library. It had a short blurb about the incubus, but not much. I set it aside then leaned back against the sofa and closed my eyes. This really was a frustrating topic.

After a couple minutes, I felt my eyes close. As I dozed off, I began having a strange dream. I was sitting at a dark wood dining table in a room filled with candlelight. The flicker from the candles did little to light the dark room. There was an impossibly beautiful man sitting across from me with silver hair that fell over his forehead and full, plush lips. The candlelight flickered in his grey eyes and I was completed hypnotized by his beauty. As I was lifting a glass of a dark wine to my lips, I was awoken by the notification from my phone.

Jackson:

Hey

You still awake?

11:32 PM

Me:

Yeah

How did the security thing go?

11:33 PM

Jackson:

Not good

Have to come back tomorrow after class

Looks like it's going to take some time

11:34 PM

Me:

Damn

That sucks

11:35 PM

Jackson:

It's like nothing I've ever seen before

11:35 PM

Me:

Crazy

11:36 PM

Jackson:

I'm really sorry about tonight

11:37 PM

Me:

I understand

Trust me

11:38 PM

Jackson:

How about coffee in the morning before class?

11:38 PM

Me:

Sounds good

Meet you out front at 8?

11:39 PM

Jackson:

Perfect

See ya in the morning sweetheart!

11:40 PM

I stood up from the sofa and stretched. I picked up the remainder of the pizza and I put the rest of it in the fridge. I flipped off the lights as I walked towards my room. I plugged my phone in then headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth. After I finished, I climbed into bed, switching off the lamp next to my bed, plunging my room into darkness. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I fell into a dreamless sleep.

Unknown:

I sat back in his chair, a glass of wine in one hand. As of now, things were going well. A tall man with dark hair entered the room and took a seat next to me, pouring himself a glass of wine.

"We gave that friend of hers enough trouble to keep him occupied for the next several days or so," he said, a smile lighting up his face and making his dimples appear.

I nodded in approval. "Does the girl suspect anything yet?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I don't think so," he replied.

"Thank goodness. Hopefully she won't anytime soon," I said. "It's not time yet."