Chapter XLIX

Edward sat by his table, on his study, debating whether he should sign the papers in front of him

Just then, Charlotte entered and she stared curiously at him, seeing the expression on his face. "What is it?"

His head snapped up and he quickly moved some papers to cover the ones he'd been looking at. It had been a letter to Rome, regarding their marriage. "Some northern lords are displeased with how I dealt with your father's rebellion," he said smoothly, glad he did not have to lie since that part was true. "It's a letter from Shrewsbury."

"Oh," she whispered. "They must think Izzy and I have been cheated out of crowns twice already."

"What?!"

Charlotte immediately backtracked. "Not that the belief is justified," she assured him. "But they supported my father's rebellion and his intention to crown George and Isabel. Then, they fought with my father to crown me by  Edouard's side. And I'm known as your mistress, mon cheri," she stroked his hair, smiling. "Many must have thought you intended to make me your queen when you started delaying the negotiations for marriage with Lady Bona."

"You have a point," he conceded rather reluctantly.

"Now that's out of the way," she cleared her throat as he pulled her closer. "We need to talk."

Edward leaned back. "What about?"

"Us. We have moments when I feel so close to you. Especially when you're inside me. But lately, a distance has grown between us and I can't bear it. Tell me if there's something worrying you, so we can fix it."

He smirked and started raising the light skirt of her dress, pressing kisses to the outside of her thighs before making her lean against the table as her legs opened for him.

"Nothing," he pressed a kiss to the palm of her hand. "is wrong."

He proved his point by lowering her small-clothes swiftly and starting to rub her nub.

"Oh," Charlotte sighed as he started trailing kisses up her thighs, skilled fingers stroking her core.
            ─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

One day, she walked through the streets of London on foot when she was expected to be in a carriage. Marie tried her best to keep up with Charlotte, who was walking at a fast pace.

"Charlotte, this is anything but safe!" Marie complained to Charlotte, who continued to smile happily as she walked through the more indecent parts of London.

"My lady, you'll ruin your dress," Marie complained and Charlotte stopped walking.

"I have others," she said, not worried about the dress as they stopped on the doors of the orphanage she often visited.

The moment she entered, the children lit up with happiness, rushing toward Charlotte. They all hugged her at once, causing Charlotte to smile brightly.