Chapter XXIX

May 1465

May 1465

"So, our new queen is not only Lancastrian but now we have half of Burgundy out in force," Charlotte struggled to follow her father and sisters through the stairs of the Tower as he once again complained about Elizabeth.

"Why, Izzy?" At her name being spoken, Isabel turned around and shot her a betrayed look. But she couldn't help it, they were growing up and needed to know these things. Isabel was already grasping some things about life at court, but Anne was way too innocent and she would have to learn soon.

"Because she is related to them?" She answered hesitantly and was rewarded with a rare smile from their father.

"But, Lottie, we like her better than the old bad queen, don't we?" Anne hastened to ask, looking back at her.

"And now we must crown her before her belly grows too fat," her father continued complaining and this time, she laughed, but had to shut down the laughter as they neared the queen's rooms in the Tower.

"Is the woman dressed and ready?"

"She's not made queen yet," George remarked as she walked forward and they kissed each other's cheeks in greeting, just as Elizabeth came out of her room with a nervous expression on her face.

"My new sister. You're as beautiful as a queen should be," George remarked as he kissed Elizabeth's knuckles.

"I pray your child is a son, so he may follow my brother on his throne," Richard quickly said, probably catching the immediate tension in the room when her father laid eyes on their new queen.

"Thank you, Richard. George," Elizabeth nodded in greeting. "I am very grateful for your kinship." She looked around. "Where... Where's Edward?

"At the Abbey," Charlotte answered. "He is to watch the coronation from behind a screen, as is the custom. Did you not know?"

"My daughters will escort you. They have been trained for such occasions," her father said, signaling for Isabel and Anne to walk forward and take their places, but Baron Rivers held up a hand to stop them.

"The Queen has her own sisters to attend her. Your daughters may join in the procession behind us," Baron Rivers was quick to say, almost sneering.

Charlotte scoffed, causing all eyes to turn to her. "You are a Baron, with a made up title only gained to save face after your elopement with a dowager royal duchess. Not near of high enough rank to escort a queen to her coronation, regardless if she is your daughter. My father is an Earl twice over and the widower of a royal princess of England, a woman who could have been the Queen of France. I am the aforementioned princess's daughter and a countess in my own right. My sisters are the daughters of an Earl and of a countess in her own right. Forgive me for saying this, but we will escort the queen to her litter. Anne, Isabel," she beckoned and her sisters smiled at seeing how the Rivers could not come up with a retort, before going and plucking the cape out of one of Elizabeth's sister's hands.