Chapter XXXI

Edward crawled into Charlotte's bed after the council meeting finally finished

Edward crawled into Charlotte's bed after the council meeting finally finished. Their son was in a cot next to the side of the bed and he checked on the little boy and smiled at his peaceful expression.

Charlotte did as she usually did whenever he shared a bed with her. She gravitated towards his warmth and nuzzled her cheek into his chest, entwining their legs together unconsciously. He chuckled and wrapped his arms around her and snuggled into the covers himself.

He fell asleep to the feel of her breath against his chest and the rise and fall of her breathing.

It was the most at peace Edward had felt in years.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"I know your loyalty to Warwick, but surely if he's gone this far, Edward," Anthony attempted to convince his king and brother-in-law to take action, but it was obvious that Edward was hesitant to do so.

Charlotte turned her head, watching as Elizabeth entered with a confused look on her face, especially due to the fact that Charlotte was there while she was not.

"Edward?" Elizabeth called out as she walked over to the group, feeling concerned. She glanced around at the group of three, waiting for them to explain what was going on.

"Your father and brothers have just told me that Warwick has a secret deal with the king of France," Edward explained to Elizabeth, who expected him to be more upset about the whole ordeal than he was at that moment. "Louis has promised him a territory in exchange for my alliance with France. Now, this was once dependent upon me marrying the Princess Bona, but now rides upon this so-called peace treaty."

"So Warwick is plotting against you," Elizabeth realized in an uneasy tone as she exchanged a look with her brother.

"Not so much against Edward as for himself," Charlotte corrected Elizabeth, earning an eye roll from Anthony.

"I believe that is same exact thing," Elizabeth whispered to herself and while Edward heard her, Charlotte did not.

She sighed in frustration, beginning to move closer to Edward. "Let me speak with my father and get to the heart of this matter. I'm sure it's nothing more than a misunderstanding."

He turned to her, quick to speak up. "We can't know that, but I do know he should not have kept it from me." He told her before moving closer to Charlotte until he was standing in front of her. "So I shall treaty with the side I think is most useful," he paused, all of them knowing he was referring to Burgundy. "Are you happy? You got your way, dear wife."

Charlotte gave him an annoyed look, just before she walked away. Edward sighed in defeat, ignoring his common sense as he chased after her.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────