Chapter XXXIII

1469

1469

Panting as she gives a final push, Elizabeth collapses backwards, her sweat-soaked blonde hair fanning around her.

"Where's my son?" Elizabeth questions, her voice quieter than normal due to the strain of birthing her fifth child.

"Here she is, Your Grace," the midwife smiles fondly at the experienced mother and Queen, placing the newly born and clean child onto the woman's chest. "A beautiful, healthy baby girl," she continues, watching as Elizabeth picks up the tiny hand of her newest daughter, the Queen's eyes filling with tears as she kisses the baby's forehead.

"A daughter?" Elizabeth inquires, happiness filling her chest at her newest little girl, but longing for another son filling her heart as well.

People had begun to talk, after all.

When she and Edward married, everyone had thought heirs would be a non-issue. She had two sons already. And yet, through their marriage, no sons were born to the handsome King and his blonde, strong-willed Queen. It did not help that Edward's preference for Charlotte Neville was no secret and that she had given him a son already, with rumors flying around court that she was pregnant with another.

Such thoughts could quickly consume Elizabeth's head and had done so at certain times of weakness, but for now, she can only focus on the adorable bundle in her arms.

"Fetch the King, please," Elizabeth instructs quietly, not wanting to disrupt the gentle baby on her chest as the small infant looks at the world around her with wide blue eyes.

"Yes, Your Majesty," the midwife curtseys before moving into the castle's corridors in search of Edward.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"Lady Kent?"

Elizabeth Woodville's voice made her stop in the middle of the hall and after shifting Edmund on her hip, she turned around and walked closer, a whispered your majesty escaping her lips.

"Kent...That was your mother's title, was it not?"

"Yes, indeed, along with the earldom of Leicester," she gave the queen a small smile, wondering what she wanted. There was no secret in the origin of her titles.

"I never had the pleasure of meeting her, but they say she was a wonderful woman."

"Well, they do say so. The journal she left behind for me does make me ache, for she died when I was a small child. But she was pushed into having another child too soon, it was no wonder her body would give out."

It was a clear jab. Elizabeth was barely waiting before going back to Edward's bed after giving birth. She continued that way and her body would give out. It may be hypocritical of Charlotte to say so, but she was taking precautions to avoid having her pregnancies too close together, learning from the past.