Chapter XXII

"I still think this is a bad idea," Isabel muttered, not for the first time

"I still think this is a bad idea," Isabel muttered, not for the first time. "Father won't be happy when he finds out." Charlotte had told their father that she was resting today so he would not look for her during the day. She needed a day of peace.

"Like Charlotte said you're free to go," Anne reminded their sister, sounding more cheerful than she had been days before. Richard leaving back to the North had dampened her spirits considerably, but she was returning to herself slowly.

"At least, let's make sure we're back before sundown," Isabel said instead, looking up at the afternoon sky to judge the time.

"Look around and see how lucky we are to be alive right now," Charlotte remarked, thinking of the thousands that lost their lives in the recent battles and the diseases that had spread because of them, aware of her mortality and of how many mothers lost their lives to the childbed.

Their small entourage walked down the London street, passing out bread and a few coins to the beggars they passed.

Finally, they arrived at an orphanage. Charlotte grimaced as she studied the building that was clearly falling apart and she could almost smell the dirt and grime. The matron was a plump woman who seemed surprised to see a highborn lady at her establishment but no less welcoming.

"My Lady, you honor us with your presence," she greeted her with a deep curtsy.

"What is your name?" Anne inquired.

"Katherine Edwardes," the woman replied, her eyes downward.

"Mistress Edwardes, may I see the children of your establishment?" Charlotte questioned, knowing that if any of the orphans were ill, she couldn't risk her health or Lily's but hopefully there would be no danger.

Katherine nodded dumbly, allowing the group to enter. The inside of the orphanage was much worse than the outside. It was cramped and humid with at least two dozen children with tattered clothes and dirty faces running about.

If the visitors had not caught their attention, the aroma of the food they carried in baskets certainly did. Charlotte quickly signaled for her maids to start unpacking the food and passing it out.

"Thank you, pretty lady," one of the boys said as Charlotte placed a bun in his hands before he greedily tore into the pastry.

"She's no lady, she's the queen," the girl beside him corrected him in a stage whisper much to the adults' amusement.

"Then where's her crown?" The boy challenged.

One of the matrons of the orphanage quickly stepped in before a disagreement could happen and disrupt the visit.

After making sure to donate a sum of the money Charlotte carried with her to the orphanage and a promise that someone would be back with new toys for the children, she was getting ready to leave when the same girl from before came running up.