Chapter LXVI

Tower of London

Tower of London

Charlotte tapped on the doors of Anthony's cell, chuckling when he rushed over to her.

"You got my letter? You know that I played no part in any betrayal?" He questioned, his desperation clear in his voice. "You know that I have no part, nor do I wish a part in my sister's plot?"

"I got it," she confirmed. "But I don't know if that will be enough."

She allowed him to interlace their fingers through the bars of his cell, taking comfort in the simple intimacy of such an action. Perhaps, she thought, my life would have been easier if I had chosen him all those years ago.

"What more do you want? For me to swear my allegiance to your son? I'll do so and I'll do it gladly."

"Not quite. We need something solid. I'll be honest, Anthony," she gave him a small smile. "If it were up to Richard, you would have been executed at dawn. If it were up to my son, we'd keep you prisoner until your death. I'm not of the same mind as them."

"That's because you know me," he sighed in relief.

"Yes, but we need something solid to secure your allegiance."

"I'll do anything," he promised.

"We have many children to marry off, but you have no children to match them to."

He closed his eyes in realization, before nodding almost imperceptibly.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Margaret Beaufort stood in an empty hallway, speaking with her husband about the current events at court. "Is Buckingham with us?"

"As much as he ever will be. His claim is as strong as your son's," Stanley pointed out and Margaret sighed.

"Well then, Henry must strengthen his claim. Marry well," Margaret replied and while she couldn't think of the ideal match, Stanley thought of it almost immediately after hearing her say the words.

"Princess Lily," Stanley replied and Margaret was quick to argue.

"No, she's too much her parents' daughter. She seems meek enough, but so did Charlotte and look at us now. She'll try to rule through Henry the same way Charlotte ruled through Edward. And she seems far too fond of Elizabeth's Grey son. If he marries Caitlin, it would strengthen the Lancaster claim."

"Yes, because a Lancaster bastard is better than a legitimate, York princess," Stanley countered.

"If not Caitlin, then it'll have to be Nora," Margaret sighed.

"Nora is a child, first of all. We'd have to wait until she's old enough to marry. And, the marriage would not benefit us in any way with Lily alive and married to another," Stanley argued, but by the look on his wife's face, he knew she already knew that.