Chapter IX

Months had passed and nothing stopped them from having a happy, yet hidden, life together

Edward was relieved that Warwick had yet to catch on and confront them about it. If he was sure about one thing, it was that he would not be pleased. It hadn't even been brought up in the slightest.

Just like any other normal day, Charlotte sat with the ladies of the court, gossiping and speaking of women's issues, not of their husbands, politics or the war. It was frowned upon for them to speak of politics and what was occurring in the war. That was a topic only men spoke of.

Unless the woman in question was Charlotte. No, Charlotte was told everything about the war by Edward himself. They spent most nights together, even if she had yet to give herself to him. He would wrap his arm around her and run his hand through her thick locks of hair as he told her of what was happening.

He spoke to her of matters he practically told no one about. He trusted her above anyone, perhaps even her father at times. He knew he could trust her to keep whatever he told to herself.

Charlotte acted as though she was listening to the ladies speak of their lives with their husbands, but in truth, her mind wandered off to what she was looking at through a nearby window.

It was Edward, standing with her father. It looked as though they were arguing about something. It concerned her. However, before she could attempt to stand up to catch Edward when he stormed off in a fit of rage, as he usually did, someone called out her name.

"Charlotte," a woman called out, causing Charlotte to turn her head to see Cecily Neville, Edward's mother — her great aunt — standing in front of her. "Come. May I speak with you alone?"

"Of course," Charlotte replied, wasting no time standing up with a bright smile on her face.

Cecily had grown to favor her as of late for a reason no one seemed to understand. Some correctly assumed she hoped for her to marry Edward. She viewed the possible marriage as an union of Lancaster and York which would unify both houses and hopefully end the Cousins' War. After all, Charlotte's mother had been Mad King Henry's sister and many doubted the legitimacy of Prince Edouard. That would leave Charlotte as the Lancastrian heiress.

Charlotte stood up and walked closer to Cecily, who wasted no time linking arms with her. They headed straight to the gardens.

"There's something I must speak to you about," Cecily informed Charlotte in a hushed tone, the slightest of smiles on her face, "Something of great importance."

"And what may that be, Aunt?" Charlotte asked, beginning to smile as well when they entered the courtyard.

The moment they did so, Edward, who was there as well, looked straight at her. It was as though his undivided attention went on her, instead of continuing to argue with her father.