Chapter LXV

"God, how do I do this?" Charlotte murmured to herself, loud enough for Richard and Anne to hear

"It doesn't matter what you say, Charlotte, just hug them and tell them everything's going to be all right," Richard said to his sister-in-law.

Wiping away the trail of her tears, she opened the doors to the nursery and looked at her children, all gathered near the fireplace. The older ones seemed alert as they held on to their younger siblings.

"Mama... why are you dressed so funny?" Arthur asked.

"Something very sad has happened," Charlotte answered, settling down just in front of her children. "This is how we dress when something sad happens."

"Mama, where is Papa?" Bella asked, holding a wolf plush Edward had gifted her.

"Papa won't be coming tonight." Charlotte said quietly, shaking her head.

"Why not?" Nora asked, her innocent voice light in the air, confusion and curiosity clear.

"Papa had to see your older sister, Mary," Charlotte said, struggling. "In Heaven."

The twins began to sob. At the age of nine, they understood the concept of death very well. They'd already lost a sister, as well as their aunt and baby cousin, even if they had no true memories of Isabel. However, they had most likely thought their father's illness would pass as it had done in the past and they had been shielded from seeing the worst of it by their older siblings.

William immediately looked up to the ceiling. He was keeping his tears from falling down, Charlotte realized. She felt thankful for it somehow. The fourteen year old started trembling.

"Why?" Bella blinked, moving away from Rickon, who had been holding onto her shoulder.

"Because I'm here with you," Charlotte said slowly. "And Elizabeth is with your other siblings. But Mary...Mary was alone. We don't want Mary to get lonely, do we?"

"But what about us?" Nora asked, holding hands with her twin.

"Nora," Charlotte spoke, locking eyes with her daughter, hazel eyes meeting brown eyes. "I need you to be a big girl. You can be brave, right? That's what we she-wolves are."

Nora stayed silent. Some understanding was building.

"Can we say goodbye?" Caitlin asked quietly.

Charlotte breathed sharply. "Yes, of course you can."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•───── 

In Edward's chambers, Cecily knelt at the foot of the bed, praying for his soul.

"We must be careful. All of us. People are already choosing sides as we speak," Cecily spoke up, letting out a frustrated sigh.

"Sides?" Richard asked. "It'd be madness to try and place one of Elizabeth's sons on the throne."