Chapter XXX

1465

1465

Lily whimpered and she cradled her closer to herself, shifting so she could stroke Edmund's hair on her lap with the hand that wasn't supporting her firstborn child.

"Papa!" Charlotte smiled as her son toddled over to Edward, her heart nearly stopping when he stumbled but luckily he was caught.

"Good save," she said lightly, bouncing Lily slightly as she stood up.

"I could not let our boy fall, could I?"

"No, you could not," she said as she lowered Lily into her small bed, her daughter already asleep.

"Go with Mama," Edward whispered loudly to Edmund who squealed and walked towards Charlotte, who immediately hugged him when she completed the short walk.

"You'll be happy to know I've secured a betrothal for Lily," Edward commented lightly, making her freeze for a moment before she continued humming a lullaby to Edmund.

"To whom?"

"Richard Grey, Elizabeth's youngest son."

Charlotte scoffed. "As if."

"I'm serious," Edward crossed his arms. "He's nine years old, so it's not that big of an age difference and I'll title him when he comes of age and once again before the wedding."

Charlotte frowned, but kept quiet, waiting for him to go on.

"I...I thought you'd be happy to know Lily was engaged already."

"I'd be happy if you'd found her a worthy match," she snapped. "Instead, you have betrothed her to a commoner, a second son. A boy who will inherit nothing since his father's titles now belong to his brother. Lily is rightfully a princess and this match shames her and her blood."

"It's been decided," Edward said softly. "I'm sorry, but I needed to do something to calm things between you and Elizabeth. You constantly snub her..."

"And, let me guess...she used the fact that she's pregnant to force you to do something?"

His silence was answer enough.

"I want to meet the boy and I want him taken out of his mother's household."

"Charlotte —"

"No! If he is to marry our daughter, fine. But my baby girl will not marry a country gentleman and that is what Richard Grey will turn out to be if he is raised completely by Elizabeth," she took care to keep her voice low as she lowered Lily into her bed. "That woman has no idea what it takes to raise a future lord, a peer of the land. My father does."

"Elizabeth is not a fan of your father, as you know," Edward winced, imagining how him informing her of Charlotte's demands would go.

"Then she will have to suck it up. My father raised you and your brothers and you did not turn out so bad, did you? He still has his wards in the North. She can visit him and he can be brought down to London occasionally. It's either that or no marriage. You choose, Edward."