Chapter III

September 1461

September 1461

Considering how large Westminster Palace was, it was amazing how often he found himself bumping into Charlotte. That day, she was holding a mountain of books and Edward was rather surprised that no one had stopped to help her.

"Would you like help, Lady Charlotte?" He asked, eyes the stack of books nervously. Could she even see over them?

"I am quite fine," she said. "There's no need to worry." So that was why she had no one helping her.

Edward stepped forward and took the books from her, his hands brushing against her own. "I insist. I would rather you not run into someone and hurt yourself or them."

He noted the rosiness of her cheeks and decided to think it was due to the exertion rather than him in general, although he felt his own cheeks redden.

"Thank you," she said. "Are you taking these to the nursery?" He asked.

Anne, his older sister had recently arrived with her young daughter — also Anne — and commandeered the nursery for her child and wards. Given that the court still had a small number of courtiers, no one objected to having young children at the Palace and in any case, he would not have sent his sister and niece away. Especially, since her husband had fought for Lancaster and now she held his states.

"Yes, I have found some French child tales and histories and thought the children might enjoy them."

"They would indeed," he said as they began to walk towards the nursery. "Thank you for helping me with the books," she said.

"It's no problem," he replied.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

As she is walking to her rooms, she feels a hand take hold of her arm and whisks her into a small side-corridor.

When she looked up, her hazel eyes met Edward's green ones and she sank down into a curtsey, before he cupped her cheek and signaled her to rise.

"I had to see you," he breaths. "I can't get you out of my mind, Charlotte."

She nodded breathlessly, not trusting herself to speak.

"I need you, Charlotte. I've never wanted a woman as I want you."

"Your Grace," Charlotte steels herself, looking away from his green eyes. "As I told you before, my maidenhead belongs only to my husband. But I do enjoy your company and... perhaps, we could spend time together chastely, if you would be agreeable?"

His shoulders deflating, Edward nodded.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"Goodnight your grace," one of Edward's trusted grooms said to him before blowing out his candles and settling on the pallet next to his bed. Edward had no trouble falling asleep that night, even if his mind was fixated on Charlotte Neville.