Chapter XLV

As time passes, she and Edward establish a routine

They don't always spend the night together. Edouard is still a presence in her mind, haunting her and she can't fully erase him, but some nights when his ghost doesn't linger as much, she can sleep next to him, pressed against his side with his arm around her waist.

She decided soon after seeing her children that they would not go back to the countryside. She wanted them close after missing a year of their lives and so, a nursery was established near her rooms. Not that it is used much, though.

William spends almost every night in her bed. He is her youngest and she already regrets missing so much and does not wish to miss anything more. Edmund and Lily alternate on the days Edward does not sleep in her rooms. Despite their initial excitement when they saw her, her older two are more guarded and she has to work to regain their trust. She knows they love her, but in their mind, she abandoned them and as much as it pains her, she understands that she'll have to work for their trust.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

In Edward's office, Charlotte leaned against Edward's chest as William, who was soon going to turn two, played with her hair which she wore loose. After struggling for a few minutes, she'd managed to find a position that was comfortable, perching up her son at her side so he was not resting directly against her bump.

As Edward pressed a kiss to her cheek, George entered with the baby Edward in his arms, Elizabeth behind him.

Richard stood up as they entered, bowing to Elizabeth.

"Come here, my prince," Elizabeth said quickly, taking the baby from George, who did not truly seem to care. He only rolled his eyes before handing the baby over.

"Come here, little warrior," George mocked as he walked towards Charlotte and took William from her arms, referencing that William the Conqueror had in fact been her younger son's namesake. Some might think it pretentious, but she and Edward did not.

The name was an accurate representation of York in her mind. The Conqueror had lived abroad for most of his life, just as George and Richard had been sent away for their own protection. Edward and his father had fought for what was theirs, given that their claim to the throne was superior to that of the Lancasters, just as the Conqueror's claim was superior to that of Harold Godwinson.

She only grinned playfully, before handing her son over, noticing that Elizabeth was watching them warily.

"It won't be long before we see him settled at Ludlow," George commented, nodding towards Elizabeth who was handing her son over to a nursemaid.

"Ludlow Castle?" Elizabeth seemed confused. "We will live in Wales?"

"We won't," Edward released his hold on her waist as he walked forwards. "Our son will. Once he turns two. He's the Prince of Wales and so, his household must be established in Ludlow. He'll like it there, I'm sure."