Chapter LXXX

Bosworth, Leicestershire, East Midlands

Charlotte arrived at the war camp and headed straight for the tent she knew Edmund was located in. She wanted to see him before the battle. She wanted to see him and Richard.

She needed to see her son again, especially if the worst happened and they lost.

"Mother?" A voice called out, causing Charlotte to turn her head to see Edmund standing before her. "Mama...What--"

"I couldn't simply stay at Warwick," she confessed, beginning to walk toward him with tears in her eyes, "I had to see you again. I wanted to apologize. I've been a terrible mother these past two years and you've had to act like a father to your sisters because I was too busy grieving."

"You're not a bad mother," Edmund sighed as he walked toward closer to her. "You were grieving, and even so, you helped me rule and made time for my sisters. If you neglected me or Lily or Caitlin, it was only because you knew that Nora and Bella needed you more. They are younger than us, they are still children and they need you."

"It's not too late," a familiar voice spoke up, causing the duo to turn their heads to see Richard walking towards them. "We will get through this battle and we will defeat Lancaster once and for all. Edmund, you and your siblings have more royal blood running through our veins than any man or woman alive. You are the rightful King of England, the son of King Edward IV and we will not quake in fear because of a stupid boy who thinks himself to be the rightful king when he's spent most of his life abroad. He does not even know the land he presumes to rule."

Charlotte smiled at her brother-in-law, placing a hand on his shoulder as she stood beside him and her son. "You are right. We are Yorks and we will not be cowed by him."

She looked at her son, her firstborn son who she was about to send off to battle. "Your uncle is right, he has fought in battles since he was sixteen and he has survived each of them. We will win and you will rule for many years more."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Richard had fallen into a fitful sleep, and at sometime during the night a cooling breeze had started to blow. He found himself feeling a bit of a chill, and reached for the covers. He was half awake and half asleep as he did so. His senses were assaulted with a familiar scent, Anne's perfume.

He sighed softly, what he wouldn't give to have her here right now, but now even if she had lived, he would have never brought her to a battlefield. She would have stayed with his mother, Maggie and Teddy or with Bess, Charlotte and their nieces at Warwick.

He buried his face against the pillow, then was startled when he heard her voice saying his name. It was as clear and melodic as it had been in life. Part of him believed that if he opened his eyes, he'd find her standing there.