𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

CHAPTER SIXTEENthe monster beneath

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
the monster beneath.

...

1947

SOMETIMES, happiness was simple. Watching a little girl danced with her father in front of a fireplace, while the mother was sitting not far from them, knitting and laughing, and then they adressed you as a part of their family, asking you to join them. Just a simple little thing like that, making you feel included, making you feel like a part of something.

Only that none of it was actually real. They weren't her family, in fact they didn't know anything about her. But Bella knew, she always knew, because she was the one who compelled them to think that she was a part of their family.

It was sad to think that the only time she wouldn't feel lonely was when she compelled herself a family. And to know that her real family were still alive out there, but she could never be with them without risking their lifes and hers, all because she had gotten herself into a dangerous situation. Now wherever she went she always had to pretend to be someone else, always looking over her shoulder, making sure she didn't left any tiny clue behind. The possibility that she would have to do that for the rest of her life made her really frustrated sometimes. What was the point of living a long life if she could never really enjoy them?

Having a sudden change of mood, she decided to go to her own room. Lately, she had found reading was calming. But just when she arrived at her desk to get some books she liked, she could feel someone's movement behind her.

Within a flash, she had pinned the person against the wall, her hand on his throat. He was a young man with a wavy ginger hair and blue eyes, and instead of looking afraid to what she might do to him, he grinned widely, somehow looking amused at her.

"Did you make sure no one followed you here?" Bella demanded, eyes staring intimidatingly at him and hand not leaving his throat.

"Yes, twice."

"Are you still on vervain?"

"Um-hum."

She finally let go of him, but suspicion hadn't left her face. "If someone tried to compel you before you got here, I want you to punch your own face."

Back then, when Bella was in Kansas, she accidentally witnessed this guy being beaten by his abusive father. And just looking at all of that, her memories of seeing her own father abusing her eldest brother started to come back. It moved something inside of her, and without even knowing it, she saved him from his father. Ever since of that, he began to fall for her.

By the time he found out what Bella really was, instead of being afraid, he asked her to turn him into a vampire. Bella quickly refused, feeling that he didn't really know the consequences of what he was asking for. But after seeing how helpless he was, how much he was suffering from not being able to stand up from his father, she felt pity for him and decided to grant him his wish. And that was when she discovered about the sirebond among the vampires.