Chapter 17: Seeing him again

Steve jumped up to pull me in to a hug causing us to both stumble and fall on to his bed

Steve jumped up to pull me in to a hug causing us to both stumble and fall on to his bed. We were both laughing when we hit the bed, tangled up in each other's arms. He then pulled me closer and kissed me on the cheek. Looking around, I was happy to find that Hodge was the only other person in the barracks. That meant I could talk to Steve and not worry about showing favouritism when it came time to pick the right candidate. I was hoping my earlier statement to Hodge would be enough to keep him quiet.

"Steve what are you doing here?"

"Dr Erskine saw my file when I tried to enlist again. He started to question me about how many times I had try to enlist and why I wanted to join so badly. Then he said he would give me a chance. And Bucky said I would never make it."

I smiled as Steve told me this story. Abraham always saw the best in people so it didn't surprise me that he picked Steve out of everyone else in the enlistment office that day.

"That sounds like Abraham. Let me guess he asked you if you wanted to kill Nazis, didn't he?"

"Yeah, he did. Which I thought was strange. Hang on did you just call him Abraham? He's the German man that recruited you? I thought the SSR sounded familiar."

Just as I was about to reply, Hodge came over and pulled Steve up by the back of his shirt. He held Steve at arm's length as he looked him up and down.

"What is your problem Hodge? Are you insane?" Steve questioned as he managed to break out of Hodge's grasp who then looked over at me.

"This is the guy that you told me about earlier. You would pick him over me? Either you're with him because you feel sorry for him or as joke. If not, you must be crazy."

I stood up and stood toe to toe with Hodge. He was taller than I was but I refused to back down to him. I could feel my hands start to get cold and the temperature in the room started to drop.

"I would pick Steve over a guy like you any day. You are nothing but a jerk and a bully and just plain mean. And I do believe both Peggy and I told you to stay away earlier."

"And what are you gonna do about it blondie? Slap me? I'm so scared

"And what are you gonna do about it blondie? Slap me? I'm so scared."

I smiled at Hodge as I took a step back and slowly started to freeze the bottom of his boots to the ground and cover him in a dusting of snow. I wanted to make sure that he didn't realise what was going on straight away, so made sure I focus on my powers to make sure I didn't lose control.